1944 Morris C8 / Landrover 2.25 petrol engine conversion.

Ian L

I seem to remember that Ian said his Morris C8 engine had the number 4 big-end go, on the way back from W&P last year or the year before. An LR engine will keep her going for the moment and of course spares are easy to find. But good luck with the conversation!

Sounds a interesting 're-power' project to follow , will you have to make a adapter plate or is there a existing one by such as M&D ?

Behind the wheel - you may never know the difference LoL

For all I know there could be common parts running through from the C8 on to the Morris J4 / JU and BMC angle-cabs to Sherpa / LDV who in the end used a 2.5na ,,

What is wrong with it? I am just being nosy.

#4 big-end bearing failed, may be others & they are white metal.

Block corroded away wafer thin L/H rear corner which has caused 5 cylinder-head gasket failures.

R/H block jacket cover (thin bolt on panel) leaking like a sieve & had many repairs.

Plus the unknown :???

All jobs doable & not a scrap engine by a long shot but a lot of money even doing it myself & time which I don't have at the moment & space in the workshop which I also don't have at the moment.

I seem to remember that Ian said his Morris C8 engine had the number 4 big-end go, on the way back from W&P last year or the year before. An LR engine will keep her going for the moment and of course spares are easy to find. But good luck with the conversation!

You got it Larry. :thumbsup:

Sounds a interesting 're-power' project to follow , will you have to make a adapter plate or is there a existing one by such as M&D ?

Behind the wheel - you may never know the difference LoL

For all I know there could be common parts running through from the C8 on to the Morris J4 / JU and BMC angle-cabs to Sherpa / LDV who in the end used a 2.5na ,,

Thank you Ruxy I was hoping you might post as I may need your extensive Landrover knowledge :thumbsup:

This is not virgin territory, I met Andy last week at the Cobbaton VJ weekend with his C8 towing a medium size caravan & you would never know there was a Landy engine under the bonnet.

He has already done the dirty donkey work for me & there should be an adapter plate & modified thermostat housing coming my way soon.

Clutch has to be uprated to the larger series 3 flywheel / pressure plate & an Austin Sheerline friction plate to mate with the C8 gearbox, plus a new spigot bearing machined up.

No cutting or welding to the C8 is required as the Landrover engine fits straight in, the engine mounts almost line up but adapters will need to be fabricated.

Coolant hoses line up nicely, the exhaust drop straight down & mates with the C8 silencer, the carburettor sits nicely in the bay & the air tube tucks down the rear to the original location.

I just remember being involved years ago putting a Thornycroft Sturdy engine in a Ql, and a 5.1 BMC diesel in a J type also a Leyland 600 in an Albion 3 way tipper. Not at the same time,there were some headaches, long days and short nights.

I just remember being involved years ago putting a Thornycroft Sturdy engine in a Ql, and a 5.1 BMC diesel in a J type also a Leyland 600 in an Albion 3 way tipper. Not at the same time,there were some headaches, long days and short nights.

Hi John all the spanner throwing has been done & Andy has ironed out all the flaws, I believe this will be the 3rd mating plate he's had laser cut so mine will be the 4th C8 on the road with this conversion ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK parts arrived a few days ago.

1st the clutch which is a Series 2a flywheel that had a 9" spring pressure plate from the original engine (may fit a new flywheel as this one is badly worn)

Next the new pressure plate which is the bigger 9 1/2" diaphragm type from a series 3.

And lastly the new Austin Shearline friction plate which is 9 7/8" so needs about 1/8" taking off as its just touching the diaphragm.

DSC07497.jpg

DSC07498.jpg

DSC07499.jpg

DSC07500.jpg

DSC07501.jpg

And the Landrover engine that's going in, all stripped & ready for cleaning & painting MOWOG green :blush: can anyone tell me anything about this engine from the engine number such as year ? 3 or 5 bearing crank ? Series 2 2a or 3 ?

951xxxxxx Series III petrol 2286cc 3-bearing (fitted to 88 inch airportable) found information here:-

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/engno.htm

Next the laser cut plate which will join the land-rover engine to the Morris C8 gearbox.

The 2 rear engine mounts will be tack welded once its all bolted together & lined up.

At this stage the flywheel ect will not be fitted as the engine will need to come out 2 or 3 times while front & rear engine mounts are fabricated & welded.

DSC07509.jpg

DSC07510.jpg

DSC07511.jpg

DSC07512.jpg

DSC07513.jpg

• 3 months later...