Bedford oveheating

bedford

• 2 weeks later...
Seem to haunted by thermostats at the moment. A 1997 Vauxhall Astra, getting warm. So check Thermostat, except ...... to get to it you have to remove the timing chain. So much for Modern Enginnering.

OT but a change from the two Astra's I had a 1984 1.3 and a 1990 1.6. On both the thermostat opened early so in winter did not get up to temperature. The 1.3 was OK for access but for the 1.6 the timing was in the way ( I can't recall if belt or chain ), it was possible by carefully loosening a pulley and sliding along the shaft. On my current Skoda I had the dreaded VAG group EGR failure. Replacement 5 hours workshop time most of which is the dismantling required for access then reassembly .......

Already ot tat problem here at work (on the railways), and its being overcome. Lots of OEM bespoke control gear being replaced with off-the-shelf items and proprietary software. A quick search on ebay and you can get computers to read most vehicle ECUs. I've also seen some firms advertising reverse-engineered ECUs for some vehicles. As time and technology move on, the skill set adapts. I think in future it will be more difficult getting a mechanical in-line fuel pump caliberated than an ECU rebuilt.

Theres a lot to be said for modern engines, like they dont break down anywhere near as often :blush:

An old engine with proper maintanience should be equally reliable. Look at how many of us run 70+ year old vehicles. I was talking to someone I know who was involved in the restoration on Ightam (And yes it's spelt correctly even if its pronounced Item) Moat , a National Trust property that had £10,000,000 spent on it , and yes that's the correct number of 0's. He spent about six months making old fashioned lime, and horse hair and cow muck plaster. I asked him why not go down the local builder's merchants, you can get plaster there. The reply: 'Can you prove the new stuff will last four hundred years?':cool2:

Anyway, the behaviour of certain countries at the moment. Having an EMP proof engine might not be a bad idea.