The last pictures of the Wehrmacht in color (May 1945) German trucks, cars, bikes

Morris C8

Thanks for posting that link. To my view there is a sense of relief in all the expressions, a 'That's it, let's go home' feeling. Looks odd with both sides appearing to cooperate help each other along. My German is unfortunately rather dismal so couldn't read the comments. Any idea where this was filmed? Where were they going, and where from?

Thanks for posting that link. To my view there is a sense of relief in all the expressions, a 'That's it, let's go home' feeling. Looks odd with both sides appearing to cooperate help each other along. My German is unfortunately rather dismal so couldn't read the comments. Any idea where this was filmed? Where were they going, and where from?

May 1945, the German troops meet in Czechoslovakia after the capitulation to US troops

Thanks for posting!

There also appeared to be a captured Jeep in the convoy too!

Interesting colour schemes on these vehicles; some looking quite new but most well worn. I was also interested to see quite a few in dark grey colour that preceded the dark yellow base colour used by the Germans, which most books on German camo colours never show, the suggestion being that every vehicle was repainted which we now know isn't true. Some of the grey coloured vehicles seem to have a splash of yellow over the grey as a simple camo but others are completely grey. I wonder if these were either Luftwaffe vehicles or those from non-combat units?

Once again thanks

Another reason for the sense of relief was that the soviets were closing and demanding borders be shut with any German caught on their side going to gulags or................ I read this book about a year ago and lots of information in it I was unaware of https://www.amazon.com/After-Hitler-Second-World-Europe/dp/1848544960

Pretty sure a lot of Germans got trapped in Czechoslovakia

I never realized how many different shapes and sizes of halftracks they used. At one point there you can just see the back of a Kettenkrad (sp!) but what are the huge halftracks behind it?

8 ton halftracks with armoured cab and quad 20mm Flak.

This is amazing footage that has been around for a while now but never ceases to amaze. Many of the earlier troops shown belong to the Vlasov division consisting of the turncoat Russian forces (the red/white/blue flashes on the uniforms or pennants). No doubt about what was in store for them!!

The Scammel is amazing - probably captured at Dunkirk in 1940 and soldiered right through the war on the Eastern front

One could go on for a long time about the different vehicles, their occupants and markings.

Another reason for the sense of relief was that the soviets were closing and demanding borders be shut with any German caught on their side going to gulags or................
my first thought as well, as long as you weren't a concentration camp commander or leading political figure, reaching the Americans meant going home, getting a job rebuilding the country, or transferring technology over to the American army, maybe even a job at NASA.

getting caught by the Russians, or other countries the Nazi's savaged, those in SS uniform were shot on sight.

Pretty sure a lot of Germans got trapped in Czechoslovakia
and Yugoslavia, like at Bleiburg on the Austrian border, some German's were allowed to cross the border and flee North, their collaborators were not

found these interesting colorized images today , the captions are mostly wrong but the images are very good, Some I've never seen, others only in Black and White

considering that's happening here and in other parts of the world today, this quote from the guy who colorized the pics is especially poignant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4617328/Incredible-colourised-photos-German-army.html

The images were brought to life by electrician Royston Leonard, 54, from Cardiff. 'This project was to show the war from all sides,' he said.'This set shows the German war machine and the soldiers at war. Colouring these pictures reminds us to never let it happen again.

'Look at the pictures and remember what happened in Germany could happen again in any country in the world today if we are not careful and help each other when in need.

'Hate is an easy weed to grow and can go unnoticed until it's too late and takes over. Be on guard as it can look like the best flower in the garden. 'What I see in the pictures is the world gone mad and sadly war was the only cure.'

With regards to Morris' comment. Out of interest does anyone know if Scammel's were actually supplied to Russia as military aid? I wonder if one captured at Dunkirk could have survived that long, shortage of spares for a start.

there's info that some were delivered early to Russia,

http://www.o5m6.de/redarmy/scammell.php

Scammell Pioneer SV/2S, 6x4, Heavy Breakdown Tractor

Among the early deliveries of British vehicles to Russia was a small quantity of Scammell Pioneer SV2S 6x4 Heavy Breakdown Tractors.

Build from 1939 on and equipped with a robust 102hp Gardner Diesel engine, a powerful 8-ton winch and a 3ton crane, the Pioneer SV2S soon proved its efficiency as a recovery vehicle.

A pair of tracks could be fitted over each set of the huge 13.50-20.00 rear wheels, effectively converting the vehicle into an half track.

An open crate-like locker under the drivers cab was designed to carry these tracks.

Due to the lack of heavy artillery tractors and recovery vehicles, the car should have been welcomed by the respective Red Army units. Special thanks once again to Mr. Ferdinand Hejl, Czech Republic, for providing precious informations.

hard to verify with more sources though, best I could find is one in a Russian museum

halfway down the page, in the "motors of war" transport museum Belo-Russia

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http:%2F%2Fworobioff-ku.livejournal.com%2F41578.html&usg=ALkJrhi6acif992hcko1kmFw8cUtJc5Q_Q

Edited by draganm

The Scammell in the video is an R100 Pioneer gun tractor used with heavy artillery rather than the SV/2S recovery tractor though........

good eye Simon, we know that train-loads of French and Czech vehicles were shipped East for Barbarosa, not hard to imagine Scammells from Dunkirk going along. I read a figure of 65,000 vehicles abandoned by BEF (Book: British Military Trucks in Wehrmacht Service - Tankograd)

good eye Simon, we know that train-loads of French and Czech vehicles were shipped East for Barbarosa, not hard to imagine Scammells from Dunkirk going along. I read a figure of 65,000 vehicles abandoned by BEF (Book: British Military Trucks in Wehrmacht Service - Tankograd)

A number of captured and requisitoned (Stolen) vehicles were used by the German Forces in the Channel Island's.

MajorSargentHU31105.jpg

GT2.jpg

German trucks.jpg

ger bed.JPG