Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The last pictures of the Wehrmacht in color (May 1945) German trucks, cars, bikes

Default Re: The last pictures of the Wehrmacht in color (May 1945) German trucks, cars, bike

The Scammel is amazing - probably captured at Dunkirk in 1940 and soldiered right through the war on the Eastern front. Quote

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	captured sc.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	128612

2. Advertisement

Default Re: The last pictures of the Wehrmacht in color (May 1945) German trucks, cars, bike

One more link, shows planes trucks and tanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24_tjVPIb0

With regards to Morris' comment. Out of interest does anyone know if Scammel's were actually supplied to Russia as military aid? I wonder if one captured at Dunkirk could have survived that long, shortage of spares for a start.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

Quote Originally Posted by fesm_ndt View Post
    Another reason for the sense of relief was that the soviets were closing and demanding borders be shut with any German caught on their side going to gulags or................
    my first thought as well, as long as you weren't a concentration camp commander or leading political figure, reaching the Americans meant going home, getting a job rebuilding the country, or transferring technology over to the American army, maybe even a job at NASA.
    getting caught by the Russians, or other countries the Nazi's savaged, those in SS uniform were shot on sight.

Quote Originally Posted by fesm_ndt View Post
    Pretty sure a lot of Germans got trapped in Czechoslovakia
    and Yugoslavia, like at Bleiburg on the Austrian border, some German's were allowed to cross the border and flee North, their collaborators were not

found these interesting colorized images today , the captions are mostly wrong but the images are very good, Some I've never seen, others only in Black and White

considering that's happening here and in other parts of the world today, this quote from the guy who colorized the pics is especially poignant
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rman-army.html

The images were brought to life by electrician Royston Leonard, 54, from Cardiff. 'This project was to show the war from all sides,' he said.'This set shows the German war machine and the soldiers at war. Colouring these pictures reminds us to never let it happen again.

'Look at the pictures and remember what happened in Germany could happen again in any country in the world today if we are not careful and help each other when in need.

'Hate is an easy weed to grow and can go unnoticed until it's too late and takes over. Be on guard as it can look like the best flower in the garden. 'What I see in the pictures is the world gone mad and sadly war was the only cure.'

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    With regards to Morris' comment. Out of interest does anyone know if Scammel's were actually supplied to Russia as military aid? I wonder if one captured at Dunkirk could have survived that long, shortage of spares for a start.
    there's info that some were delivered early to Russia,
    http://www.o5m6.de/redarmy/scammell.php

Scammell Pioneer SV/2S, 6x4, Heavy Breakdown Tractor

Among the early deliveries of British vehicles to Russia was a small quantity of Scammell Pioneer SV2S 6x4 Heavy Breakdown Tractors.
    Build from 1939 on and equipped with a robust 102hp Gardner Diesel engine, a powerful 8-ton winch and a 3ton crane, the Pioneer SV2S soon proved its efficiency as a recovery vehicle.
    A pair of tracks could be fitted over each set of the huge 13.50-20.00 rear wheels, effectively converting the vehicle into an half track.
    An open crate-like locker under the drivers cab was designed to carry these tracks.
    Due to the lack of heavy artillery tractors and recovery vehicles, the car should have been welcomed by the respective Red Army units. Special thanks once again to Mr. Ferdinand Hejl, Czech Republic, for providing precious informations.

hard to verify with more sources though, best I could find is one in a Russian museum

halfway down the page, in the "motors of war" transport museum Belo-Russia

https://translate.googleusercontent....kmFw8cUtJc5Q_Q
    Last edited by draganm; 21-08-2017 at 02:26.

Thanks for that, Another odd gem of information.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

The Scammell in the video is an R100 Pioneer gun tractor used with heavy artillery rather than the SV/2S recovery tractor though........
    Simon King - MVT1406

Ford GPW 43097 (29/6/42) ex 40YH40/M1501912
    SS Cars 10cwt GS trailer (?1943) "SS/GS/0696 X5392696"
    Bedford MWR 47140 (early1943) ex 49RG30/Ztbc

Quote Originally Posted by simon king View Post
    The Scammell in the video is an R100 Pioneer gun tractor used with heavy artillery rather than the SV/2S recovery tractor though........
    good eye Simon, we know that train-loads of French and Czech vehicles were shipped East for Barbarosa, not hard to imagine Scammells from Dunkirk going along. I read a figure of 65,000 vehicles abandoned by BEF (Book: British Military Trucks in Wehrmacht Service - Tankograd)

original photos from my collection.
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scammell Pioneer R100.jpg  

scammel french ship cu.jpg  

scam 1940.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by draganm View Post
    good eye Simon, we know that train-loads of French and Czech vehicles were shipped East for Barbarosa, not hard to imagine Scammells from Dunkirk going along. I read a figure of 65,000 vehicles abandoned by BEF (Book: British Military Trucks in Wehrmacht Service - Tankograd)
    A number of captured and requisitoned (Stolen) vehicles were used by the German Forces in the Channel Island's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MajorSargentHU31105.jpg  

GT2.jpg  

German trucks.jpg  

ger bed.JPG  

Leading the charge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information