Cranes 7.5 ton light recovery trailer

Morning all,

I recently took delivery of the latest addition to my toybox - a Cranes 7.5 ton light recovery trailer.

I'd always fancied one to go behind the Scammell, so when this came along at a brilliant price i snapped it up.

Its missing most of the bolt ons, so if anyone has any leads on the following i'd appreciate it: winch, ramps, screw jacks for the back, a 13 inch split rim, a tow bar and any of the brake linkage.

Also if anyone has manuals or parts lists i'd really appreciate scans or copys.

Does anyone know what the braking system is? I've seen sources saying it was that horrible cable operated system powered by the actuator on the back of the Scammell, and some sources saying its air operated. Again any clarification / pictures appreciated.

IMG_2474.jpg

Maurice,

Thats interesting. So they were made in Canada also? Presumably under licence? Is there any way of telling where mine was made? Is there any identification stamped in the chassis.

Richard,

Interesting also. Mine has some of the linkage remaining, but nothing that i can see for actuating it.

Thanks

THE early seven and a half ton light recovery trailer was fitted with Bowden cable brakes later the trailers where fitted

with single line vacuum servo from the towing vehicle. I do not know where the CRANES/ FRUEHAUF ARCHIVES are held but when located a DEREHAM they were very helpful in supplying line drawings and technical information they also helped

with dating it there should be contract plates as well as data plates most of these that saw service after ww2 had the

registration numbers 56 YL 88 TO 62 YL 03 THE one we rescued had been converted to carry a DROTT and we were

told that it was a very early one keeping some of the original fittings and was very complete including the spare wheel

and mounting

10-50x13 tyres where fitted on the British versions .

the Canadian trailers had 10-50x16 tires on standard 16"split rims . the brake set up is done with Ford parts , Ford master cilinders , and 4 , 3 ton Ford rear brake cilinders in Ford Hubs . some had a retrofitted tow hook on the rear to be able to tow another 7 1/2 ton trailer .

I suspect mine is the cable operated version. I'm going to go Cobbaton Combat Collection and take some detailed photos and dimensions of theirs sometime. Maurice, if you give me your email address i'll do a CAD drawing of the spare wheel bracket, because i'm going to need one anyway.

Richard

I bought one a long time ago , British army with central stowed ramps , the dreaded 10.50 x 13 tyres though which are in scares supply nowadays. Vacuum brakes , but I recall a much shorter drawbar than yours has , I reckon yours has been extended looking at the photo.

towed well but I recall with the narrow track front axle it could dance about when empty with a scammell on full tilt upfront !

We've been planning on making a visit to the REME museum to get some detail shots and dimensions for the reconstruction of the Scammells back bidy, so looking at their trailer can be added to the list of things to do on that day.

Yes, this certainly isn't the original drawbar, but i'm pretty sure theres stubs of the original where it meets the trailer.

A tyre bloke delivered some 14.00 x 20s we'd bought recently. I showed him and he said 11.00 x 13s would be easier.

Richard

• 1 year later...

It looks like the documents to look for are EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 330/1 - 339/1 the Data Summary U 330/1 would give the details of associated publications eg parts list, servicing schedule, CES, UHB (if there was one)

REME Museum would be best bet.

PS There is AC No.60231 Servicing Schedule, Trailer, Recovery, Light. Sep.1968 but I don't off hand know if it is the correct one.