Hi everyone, joined group in hope of help with history on a WW2 56ft RAF Pinnace (26)

Hi everyone

Myself Sharon and my husband Richard are in the process of buying a WW2 heritage boat.

She is called Lady Sybil H - she was built in 1932 by Harland & Wolfe, Belfast, yes the same company that built the Titanic.

We know her boat number during the War was 26, as during restoration the plate was visible.

I found a photo online on the following page that shows a Pinnace in the War with the same number 26

see the link to that page here

[TABLE=width: 497]

[TR]

[TD]

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/502/air-sea-rescue/

I contacted the Forces War Records, their response was that they are given lots of photos so can not say if this is her or not !!!!

We have seen many images online of other Pinnace's with numbers like 17, 25.. etc

Would a boat have kept the same number, would there have been other boats with the same number ... I hope you guys can help us in our research.

Any further history of this type of boat would be appreciated

thank you all

Sharon & Richard Evans[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Your link shows a different class of vessel - I think it shows a number 26XX with the XX being covered by grime.

The attached image shows what I believe she looked like during the war (there is another image showing slightly altered superstructure - possibly altered postwar?).

EDIT: 17 is in fact a Mk1 vessel - superstructure has minor differences to 26 (Mk2).

I'm posting this so that any members who are knowledgeable on these might be able to assist you better.

Well done for saving her!

attachment.php?attachmentid=128538&stc=1

Edited by N.O.S.

If you click on Mk1 (another single-engined hull), this shows yet another style of superstructure, pictures of which have been associated with info on Lady Syb.

The 26 definitely pins it to a Mk2 though, and you should be able to confirm by evidence from the old superstructure.

I can't be of any use to you with information that you require but I do remember that there were always four RAF Pinnaces stationed in Falmouth during the early 1950's and that they were always moored up in the harbour. If they had to have any work done on them, they were brought ashore on a hard concrete standing next to what was then Taylors Garage but is now Trago. I think that the concrete standing was laid down during the war prior to the invasion in June 1944, I am guessing by the Americans.

I've just found two books in my father's collection (pilot with RAF Coastal Command WW2) which I highly recommend you track down -

The first majors on vessels, and will give you a good understanding of the uses of the 56ft and other pinnaces within RAF Coastal Command:

The RAF Air Sea Rescue Service 1918
by Sutherland & Canwell

The second majors on aircraft and the WW2 period, but is a good companion to the above, and both I think would be essential 'cabin' books for your vessel:

Coastal Command at War
by Bowyer

Edited by N.O.S.

I take it that you have seen this one down in Rye harbour, its an old news article, but she is still there.

http://www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/news/rye-boat-s-heroic-past-1-4602613

There used to be another one moored next to us on the Hamble but that was 8 years ago and I don't have any details on her, I'll see if I can dig out some pictures.