Saracen engine oil OMD 80X ?

trophy160

My Saracen needs a top up of engine oil prior to a run at the weekend. I only have some OMD 80X inherited with the vehicle. I understand this to be 10/30 high detergent engine oil. Assuming the engine currently has OMD 75 (SAE 30) oil is there any reason why I should not top up with this? It's the high detergent bit I'm not sure about.

High Detergent oils are usually for Diesel engines. Put them in petrols if you want to clean them out. If it is only a top up the detergent will be well disipated in the sump oil. They should mix no problem as long as one is not synthetic

All the vehicles with B series engine and FV432's etc. which stayed in service after the adoption of multi-grades oils were operated with whatever was the standard oil at that time. Hence unless the oil in your vehicle is either very old or has previously filled in private service with a mono grade, it is very unlikely to be filled with SAE30.

OK, so 10/30 it is. Having googled the detergent/non detergent issue I read that an engine which has been run on non detergent oil and then changed to detergent oil may be asking for trouble. The issue being that all the 'crud' that has been bound to engine parts is released into circulation and may then cause trouble. I'm sure for top up purposes, due to the dilution factor using a detergent oil is OK, but it sounds like it might be prudent to use a low detergent oil. I wondered about this stuff for longer term use https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/universal-tractor-oil/ they are just down the road from me.

OMD (oil mineral detergent) 80 is basically the same as OMD75 , just a newer version. I was MT cpl so know that either oil was suitable for use with the vehicles we had, from Land Rovers to Bedfords to Ferrets etc. If you are renewing the engine oil and don't have enough OMD80, use the civilian equivalent SAE30, a straight i.e. non-multigrade oil. I wouldn't mix the two. I own a ferret and all the advice i get from several sources is to use SAE30 mineral oil.