Road registering an fv434

julezee001

Ventured slightly out of my comfort zone at the War and Peace Revival this year and ended up purchasing an FV434 on the last day. Prior to the show I had already worked on it and recovered it from a muddy hole, so I am fairly certain it's a sound vehicle.

I have applied for the forms from the DVLA, V55/5, and have a friend who has registered his FV432 and offered some advice. Obviously I need to prove it's age to avoid a Q plate as seen on an FV436 (?) at W&P. Can anyone give me a clue where the build/shell number is? I can't see it in the similar place (left of rear door, tiny plate) on an FV432.

Does anyone have the GKN Sankey records for the build date?

IMPS or MVT for confirmation of the information found?

I assume it will have been built long enough ago to be deemed an Historic, but haven't found specific info for FV434's?

Any info/comments would be hugely appreciated.

Jules

I assume you know its original army VRN? Ask the Tank Museum library for the record cards which will give you its date of first use. A lot of FV430s have also been registered using the VRN in lieu of chassis number. That said, I think you'll find it very difficult to get it road registered anyway.

Andy

Thanks for the replies. Plate found, so I have all the numbers. contract no., reg no., FV no, etc. Does the Army transport Museum still hold records? Does it still provide the service of researching and supplying of copies the relevant documents?

Jules

You don't have a transport vehicle, you need the tank museum. Best option to find service history is a FOI request to the MoD.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-defence/about/publication-scheme#how-to-make-an-official-request-for-information

I hope to visit the Tank Museum at the end of the month, and will try to arrange an appointment. The FOI suggestion is interesting and easy to do, so I might give that a go too!

Thanks, Jules

Hi Jules,

I have previously registered 19 432's but as already mentioned on here, the process is now channelled through a central DVLA office who have a set of protocols 'they have to follow' and sadly 430 series are over width, and do not comply with construction and use regulations. You would also have to produce the original MoD release form 654 to prove it was legally released from the MoD.

There are of course loopholes...............

good luck

let us know how you get on

Terry

I hope to visit the Tank Museum at the end of the month, and will try to arrange an appointment. The FOI suggestion is interesting and easy to do, so I might give that a go too!

Thanks, Jules

You don't have to visit the Tank Museum, just ring them up and do it over the 'phone with a credit card. They'll email you scans of the record cards within a day, far easier and quicker than fiddling about with an FoI request.

Andy

You don't have to visit the Tank Museum, just ring them up and do it over the 'phone with a credit card. They'll email you scans of the record cards within a day, far easier and quicker than fiddling about with an FoI request.

Andy

Record cards yes, but if it's a fairly recently released vehicle they probably won't have it yet. Even if they do have the record card they won't be able to give you the history from the last 20 or so years as that's all on the databases. FOI will give you this.

Andy

I'll be down there on holiday the end of next week, but funny you should mention phoning.... I thought I'd try to make an appointment, so phoned, spoke to a charming lady who within a minute had found the record cards for 00 ED 85, and within half an hour had scanned and emailed them to me. Also a hard copy in the post. What a fantastic service!

I now have date in service as 11 April 1967, but not date of manufacture. Is there a GKN/Sankey record for a build date?

Jules

DVLA must have changed their policy. When registering my Mk1 Militant they wouldn't accept DIS, and insisted on copies of the build sheets, which on the good side were available, but on the bad side proved it was one of the last built in 1964, which of course means it needs an M.o.T test, and an HGV licence to drive it!

Jules

DVLA must have changed their policy. When registering my Mk1 Militant they wouldn't accept DIS, and insisted on copies of the build sheets, which on the good side were available, but on the bad side proved it was one of the last built in 1964, which of course means it needs an M.o.T test, and an HGV licence to drive it!

Jules

Wouldn't you need an HGV licence anyway, regardless of taxation class?

Andy

Wouldn't you need an HGV licence anyway, regardless of taxation class?

Andy

Had it been built before 1 Jan 60 (as most Mk 1 Militants were), it would be M.o.T exempt, and could be driven on a car licence........unless used comercially, or towing a laden trailer, in which case both M.o.T test and HGV licence would be required, and possibly taxed as an an HGV too instead of Historic?

Jules

• 2 weeks later...
I restored 00ED85 about 3 years ago and sold it to a young gentleman called Maximillian did you buy it from him ?

Hi John,

Yes, the same vehicle, bought from Max, who is local to me. The only problem it's had has been with the pick up filter in the fuel tank, which seems to clog with an organic black "glaze". I have removed it, cleaned it, replaced with new, but it still seems to happen. Someone suggested it's because of the "bio" element in modern diesel, but not sure if that's true?? Still looking good. Just a few small issues, and needs a bit of a service.

Jules

The biodiesel problem is a well-known issue in boats and MVs, especially those left for months at a time.

Andy

Is there a solution? I know there are additives to kill bacteria in diesel that prevent brown sludge from growing in it, but the coating on the brass fitler is totally different; more like a hard black laquer. Seems to form in weeks rather than months!

Jules

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,  

I have also bought a 434, she is road registered on a q plate with  "special vehicles" as the taxation class and a wheel plan of crawler.  

As i don't think it could be MOTed, is she MOT exempt?  I'm assuming as she is on a q plate, she won't be tax exempt or is she as she is tracked?

Im waiting for the new v5c to come through but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

You can’t MOT a tracked vehicle, see form V122G. Your Q plate probably means the age couldn’t be verified when it was registered, you’ll need to get that changed for it to be tax exempt. I hear it is more difficult than it should be, best talk to the DVLA and ask them for some advice.