Thread: Paint for Pick Axe

Default Paint for Pick Axe

I must be getting close to finishing to ask this question, what colour, if any, was the pick axe painted which goes on the back of the Land Rover, mine is 1986.
    Also the handle appears to be in several colours was there a standard?
    Thanks in anticipation

2. Advertisement

Default Re: Paint for Pick Axe

I have no doubt that handles were painted in various colours in-service.

However it was pointed out to me by a veteran that in their unit (Para Sqn RAC) such a practice was strictly forbidden, not only was it a waste of time but using it would rapidly cause blisters. So they were always kept 'au naturelle'.
    Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Quote Originally Posted by fv1609 View Post
    I have no doubt that handles were painted in various colours in-service.

However it was pointed out to me by a veteran that in their unit (Para Sqn RAC) such a practice was strictly forbidden, not only was it a waste of time but using it would rapidly cause blisters. So they were always kept 'au naturelle'.
    I can understand that paint would hide defects as well

Smile Re: Paint for Pick Axe

http://slickpic.us/1435046NkTx

Job lot of 10 qty. 8 were painted (NATE green , possibly odd one with earlier coat of DBG , 2 were probably unissued as virgin helves (these I left in the buff after a light sand to clean up but leave the Cat. No.s.) The remainder - I stripped off the paint and Rustin's 'Danish' oiled them.

Your gardening tools - if left on the tailgate - you need a min. of a few nylon tie-wraps discreeted. Some even through-bolt them by drilling holes through their tail-gate. Although a local to me had his tools always on his Rover 1 tailgate with only normal web straps & wing-nut, when observed almost every week in supermarket car park - I always noted this and amazed he was still in possession.
    Last edited by ruxy; 11-08-2017 at 11:08. Reason: spelin
    FULLTILT

Quote Originally Posted by ruxy View Post
    http://slickpic.us/1435046NkTx

Job lot of 10 qty. 8 were painted (NATE green , possibly odd one with earlier coat of DBG , 2 were probably unissued as virgin helves (these I left in the buff after a light sand to clean up but leave the Cat. No.s.) The remainder - I stripped off the paint and Rustin's 'Danish' oiled them.

Your gardening tools - if left on the tailgate - you need a min. of a few nylon tie-wraps discreeted. Some even through-bolt them by drilling holes through their tail-gate. Although a local to me had his tools always on his Rover 1 tailgate with only normal web straps & wing-nut, when observed almost every week in supermarket car park - I always noted this and amazed he was still in possession.
    I wasn't intending to leave them on the vehicle unattended but thanks for this, will have a think if at shows etc.

Thread Information