Another Royal Enfield saga

Ron

I thought is is worth stating a fresh thread.

I've always quite like riding my RE WD/CO but the gearbox has never been the nicest box to use and I got spoilt by the slickness of the box in my WD/G. I recently acquire another box from a French friend and I've strip and cleaned it and replaced the drive end bearing with a sealed one (inner seal removed). Whilst I was undoing the the engine sprocket nut, I noticed there was far to much end float on the crankshaft. So I've strip the whole lot and fitted new thrust washers and shims to give the correct end float. I've also had the barrel rebored to accept an oversized 'Bullet' piston which will raise the compression from 6-1 to 7-1. I've got a new gearbox sprocket and clutch plates arriving from Hitchcock's tomorrow. Ron

CO 078.jpg

CO 092.jpg

CO 096.jpg

Edited by Ron
Spelling, thanks to Andy!

Raze ( raise) the compression ???...you will be fitting ace bars and rear sets next Ron!....nice work as always. ;)

Thanks Andy it didn't look right somehow and I've corrected the spelling. Ron

The cylinder barrel is back from my machine guy and I've started to build up the top end and primary side. (awaiting a couple more parts from Hitchcock's which should be here today). I spent quite a bit of time setting up the mag and ignition timing, which is a lot easier without the head fitted. My advice is, if you're setting your timing by the book, always proceed by turning the engine in a forward direction to take up backlash in gears and chains etc, and don't accept your first attempt as being correct without spinning the engine over a couple of times and rechecking it. The mag on this bike has always had a meshing issue with the teeth on the mag pinion and the idler gear. I spent quite a bit of time shimming up the points end of the mag with brass shim stock until I was happy with the mesh factor. I got caught out years ago when I first got this bike and the teeth came out of mesh. There was a rasping noise and of course the engine died. On this sort of occasion the best thing you can have in your tool kit, is your RAC card and mobile phone!!

Ron

CO 097.jpg

A start up of the engine is now required, but with some trepidation as is usual after a major rebuild. Turn on the fuel, tickle the carb, over compression and the first swing resulted in a kick back as I hadn't retarded the ignition enough. But it burst into life on the second kick. Then those terrifying few minutes waiting for the oil to make it's way round the engine and start to return to the tank. Phew! all sounds good and the gearbox seems to click nicely through the gears. I'll button up the primary case and other odds and ends today and then give it a test ride when it's not raining. If all is well, then starts the boring running in the new piston and rebore. Ron

CO 099.jpg

Yes indeed Rik. Not a great deal or much of interest to sell this time, but I'll be in my usual spot (B8) top of field facing the trees.Ron

No worries, Ron. I'm sure that you'll keep us entertained even if you haven't got much WD motorcycle stuff !Photo0256.jpg

Some silly sod had put the gear shift on the wrong side but I still managed it!! No Beaulieu for me.

The saga continued today with my CO. I did a 4 mile test ride around the block with the intention of getting kitted up for a 15-20 mile ride. But there was a clicking noise from the rear wheel and on investigation I found a broken spoke, so the rear wheel had to come out. Then I discovered that the rear drum cush rubber locking ring was broken and the head had come off one of the cush pins. So more parts on order from Hitchcock's. Ron

CO 100.jpg

CO 104.jpg

Edited by Ron

Well Hitcock's performed to their usual standard with the parts arriving next day. So all fixed and back together and an early Sunday morning 20 mile test ride before the garden centre Muppet's were out. Parked up at Coy Pond nearby exactly where I used to park my C12 when I was 17. Ah nostalgia....It's not what it used to be!! Ron

CO 107.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hi Andy. The transfers were already on the bike when I bought it, but I'm sure they're available from 'Classic Transfers' but their site is playing up at the moment. I don't think they are correct for military and although I've resprayed lumps of the bike over the years, I'm reluctant to do anything to the tank as my dear old sign writer friend who has now passed away painted the roundels on for me.

This is the standard transfer as fitted to military bikes......Of course I can use artistic licence and claim that the Brylcreem boys did it differently!!!!???? Ron

WDL-G 070.jpg

PS I've just remembered I have some actual war time pictures of a military bike with that transfer that I have on my CO. Ron

Sorry that I have to piss on your bonfire Ron, but the series of pictures with the sailor were made for Enfield's war time publicity. The "normal production" bikes all had the smaller transfers...

Cheers,

Jan

OK Jan I thought it was odd to see those transfers and I have the smaller ones on all my other Enfield's. So I'll stick to my story that the Wing Commander liked the bigger prettier transfers.......Or that they were wrongfully applied by a previous owner! Ron

Sorry that I have to piss on your bonfire Ron, but the series of pictures with the sailor were made for Enfield's war time publicity. The "normal production" bikes all had the smaller transfers...

Cheers,

Jan

Jan...any idea where I can get correct wartime transfers please.

Andy, funnily enough Jan and I have been speaking to Marcia at 'Classic Transfers' about this last week as someone suggested to her that the WD transfer should be white. Jan has confirmed from an original tank he has that the 'GOLD' transfer that she sells is the correct colour. http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/transfers/royal-enfield-6920-129x9mm-3-50-each/

However we have both pointed out to her that it shouldn't have the little horizontal line at each end, but that is easy to just cut off before you apply the transfer. Ron

WDL-G 070.jpg

Edited by Ron