Been down to Hawkinge to visit the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, apart from the fact they confiscate mobile phones and cameras at entrance, great place with lots of WOTs and fibre glass replica aircraft as well as some real ones. Nice lot of WW1 Zeppielin stuff as well. Just up the coast a couple of miles is the Battle of Britain Memorial on what was the site of a 8 inch naval battery. Then if you come out of the memorial, turn right , go a couple of miles down the B2011 Old Dover Road there is a pub on your left called the Royal Oak, a few hundred yards further on is a turning to the right up a No Through Road, follow that up, it is part of National Cycle Route 2, till you can go no further in a vehicle. Follow the foot path a few hundred yards on your right you'll see a ranging post, presumably for the battery. Just beyond that is the real gem a 30 metre concrete sound mirror. Right on the edge of the cliff.

SM 1.JPG

SM 2.JPG

Edited by Tony B

Yes, there is the odd mention on websites, but nothing as to where the thing actually is. Possibly because the cliff around there is eroding very fast. Nice just for a walk or cycle as well :-D Be interesting to plot them whilist they are still about.

Nice find, I had forgotten about it. I remember another one on the hills somewhere near Hythe, as well as the ones out Dungeness way.

trevor

And two more interesting Sound mirrors, one is the oldest known built in 1917, are at the National Trust White Cliffs Dover, Fan Bay Deep shelter site, a long walk along the cliff path to the tunnels but well worth a visit in, they are in a most remarkable state of preservation, the sound mirrors a part of the tour, usually open friday to monday during the summer

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/the-white-cliffs-of-dover/features/visiting-fan-bay-deep-shelter

video shot of the tunnels as found, then were made safe, tons of debris removed and opened to the public Edited by Nick Johns

Yes, there is the odd mention on websites, but nothing as to where the thing actually is. Possibly because the cliff around there is eroding very fast. Nice just for a walk or cycle as well :-D Be interesting to plot them whilist they are still about.

Fulwell , north of River Weir - so will be set well back from the coast , the natives are probably Machems but suspect Sanddancers the border is not well delineated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33059534

Thanks Richard. Anyone know if the system got as far as the West coast? Probably not a lot of Trans Atlantic aircraft at that time.

Intrestingly there is also another concrete structure just below the mirror, though no way am even I stupid enough to take a close look.:-D

SM 3.JPG

Edited by Tony B

Next time your around there, make time to visit the musuem and memorial, you won't be disappointed.

I did visit the memorial and museum, I had enough time and spend about 4 hours in the museum to see and read allmost everything, it was well worth the visit.

The Fulwell , Sunderland sound mirror is generally aimed at Denmark and thus probably Germany where one in the days of WW1 would expect a direct attack from the air, (not that I understand Gnomonic projection). However the sound mirror(s) of the 1930's are progressive and IMHO are aimed at the heart of France , Oh OH - I forgot the British War Dept. knew all about blitzkreig LoL