Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fareham Hants
    Posts
    164

    Default Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Hi

    Can anyone reccomend a good etch primer for tin plate (For fuel tanks etc), preferably single pack if there is such a thing

    Cheers
    Richard

  2. Advertisement

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,200

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Google the spec for U-Pol etch primer comes in a handy spray can if you are only doing individual items

    Pete
    Pete Ashby MVT No555

    Vehicles owned: Leyland Retriever - Dodge D15 water tanker -1942 GPW.

    Vehicles previously owned: Ford GPW - Willys MB - 11 cab Ford F8 FFW - Dodge WC52
    Dodge D3/4APT T236 - GMC 353 - Chevrolet 12 cab C15A - Chevrolet 11 cab C15A - 109 FFW Land Rover- Chevrolet 12 cab C60s LAA

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Tried it - not impressed

    Diana


    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Ashby View Post
    Google the spec for U-Pol etch primer comes in a handy spray can if you are only doing individual items

    Pete

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,200

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Any particular reason ? what surface were you using it on and how was it preped ?

    Pete
    Pete Ashby MVT No555

    Vehicles owned: Leyland Retriever - Dodge D15 water tanker -1942 GPW.

    Vehicles previously owned: Ford GPW - Willys MB - 11 cab Ford F8 FFW - Dodge WC52
    Dodge D3/4APT T236 - GMC 353 - Chevrolet 12 cab C15A - Chevrolet 11 cab C15A - 109 FFW Land Rover- Chevrolet 12 cab C60s LAA

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Compared to genuine 2 pack it's no match. Genuine 2 pack will prime anything it will etch using a spray gum brush or roller.

    Diana


    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Ashby View Post
    Any particular reason ? what surface were you using it on and how was it preped ?

    Pete

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,631

    Smile Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by 64EK26 View Post
    Hi

    Can anyone reccomend a good etch primer for tin plate (For fuel tanks etc), preferably single pack if there is such a thing

    Cheers
    Richard

    IMHO - you have it wrong here , not 'Tin-plate' for fuel tanks , traditionally (as Rolls Royce etc. etc.) the material is "Terne" steel. I doubt you will have ancient Terne with a high tin content (the major part of the coating in any case would be Lead to abt. 80%). The Lead = anti-corrosion. The Tin content I suppose is more for seamingand caulking of lapped folds. Effectively you wish to paint Lead , there is no good primer for , even a etch. Your best bet for 'grip' would be to paint direct on the metal , a light abrade with Scotchbrite rather than a oxidised surface - then spray with a black proper single-pack 'Machinery Enamel' that is oil and fuel resistant. This takes about 1 month to through dry unless it is stoved . Air dry - such as Tractol would be typical.
    FULLTILT

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Successfully used T wash on electro tin plate - depends what is meant by tin plate..as detailed below.

    Diana


    Quote Originally Posted by ruxy View Post
    IMHO - you have it wrong here , not 'Tin-plate' for fuel tanks , traditionally (as Rolls Royce etc. etc.) the material is "Terne" steel. I doubt you will have ancient Terne with a high tin content (the major part of the coating in any case would be Lead to abt. 80%). The Lead = anti-corrosion. The Tin content I suppose is more for seamingand caulking of lapped folds. Effectively you wish to paint Lead , there is no good primer for , even a etch. Your best bet for 'grip' would be to paint direct on the metal , a light abrade with Scotchbrite rather than a oxidised surface - then spray with a black proper single-pack 'Machinery Enamel' that is oil and fuel resistant. This takes about 1 month to through dry unless it is stoved . Air dry - such as Tractol would be typical.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,631

    Smile Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Most -tin-plate' you will come across now is 100% tin that is electro-coated - just a few microns, tin is very expensive / ton.

    There is a lot of con with paints , such as what is described as acid / difficult / special metal primer etc. in a small but top $ tin is probably just the same as a 'acrylic enamel' but in satin or matt coloured as white or red oxide colour or whatever. Arguably a black acrylic enamal used in a thin coat as a primer / tie-coat followed by a double-header of conventional single pack black enamel would be best on a fuel tank..
    FULLTILT

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west sussex
    Posts
    2,086

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    If u can get hold of zinc chromate primer that's the best stuff. However take all ppe precauctions as its nasty stuff!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fareham Hants
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Etch Primer for Tin Plate

    Hi

    Thanks for all the inputs, I will let you know what I use and how good it is

    Cheers
    Richard

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yellow zinc chromate primer
    By fv1609 in forum MV Chatter
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14-05-2013, 09:20
  2. Question best metal primer
    By scammellpioneer in forum Blogs of MV restorations
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-03-2012, 23:58
  3. BATUS primer / insight on YOUTUBE
    By robin craig in forum MV Chatter
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-09-2010, 22:36
  4. Question Red Oxide Primer - Are they all the same?
    By madrat in forum I may be stupid, but......
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 00:41
  5. Red Oxide Primer
    By Tugger in forum I may be stupid, but......
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-08-2008, 09:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Adrian Flux