Land Rover Paint

Surveyor

"IFFR paint"? Richard I'm not sure if that is a typo for IRR & your location has got slightly transposed into it?

Or possibly you meant paint that has IFF (Indicator Friend or Foe) peoperties. Markings to protect against fraticide were applied using infra-red absorbent paint.

Good quality NATO Green should be idinstiguishable from IRR NATO Green other than by observing it under IR illumination & observing with night vision equipment.

But of course NATO Green as a colour can vary with manufacturer & with age & the degree of exposure to sunlight. Bear in mind that British NATO Green BSC 381C No. 285 is not quite the same as that used by other NATO partners all it means is that in conforms broadly to the STANAG 2338 NATO Infra-Red Reflective (IRR) Green Colour for Painting Military Equipment.

"IFFR paint"? Richard I'm not sure if that is a typo for IRR & your location has got slightly transposed into it?

Or possibly you meant paint that has IFF (Indicator Friend or Foe) peoperties. Markings to protect against fraticide were applied using infra-red absorbent paint.

Good quality NATO Green should be idinstiguishable from IRR NATO Green other than by observing it under IR illumination & observing with night vision equipment.

But of course NATO Green as a colour can vary with manufacturer & with age & the degree of exposure to sunlight. Bear in mind that British NATO Green BSC 381C No. 285 is not quite the same as that used by other NATO partners all it means is that in conforms broadly to the STANAG 2338 NATO Infra-Red Reflective (IRR) Green Colour for Painting Military Equipment.

Clive sorry IRR paint, the cost difference is considerable and want summit to look good and to the eye is correct

Richard

You might consider longevity of the paint and its substrate as well. I was advised that the full matt finish paints are pretty porous and have poor wearing qualities (which was solved in the Army by slapping on another coat, as owners of ex-mil L/Rs will fondly attest!). You can get better protective qualities by going for an eggshell paint, which looks a bit too shiny when newly applied but weathers nicely. Depends also on whether you want a factory fresh or in-service look.......which may lead you to apply paint with either a spray gun, a sponge pad or a 6" brush! Then keep scrupulously clean........or never wash and throw some more mud at it every weekend. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

You might consider longevity of the paint and its substrate as well. I was advised that the full matt finish paints are pretty porous and have poor wearing qualities (which was solved in the Army by slapping on another coat, as owners of ex-mil L/Rs will fondly attest!). You can get better protective qualities by going for an eggshell paint, which looks a bit too shiny when newly applied but weathers nicely. Depends also on whether you want a factory fresh or in-service look.......which may lead you to apply paint with either a spray gun, a sponge pad or a 6" brush! Then keep scrupulously clean........or never wash and throw some more mud at it every weekend. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Thanks, hadn't heard that abut the matt being porous

The older LRs would have been factory painted in gloss DBG and the IRR applied on top later. A gloss undercoat would give the protection you need. Alternatively wipe the Matt paint down with Duck oil now and again, it freshens it up and protects!

Iain

Edited by Mk3iain

The older LRs would have been factory painted in gloss DBG and the IRR applied on top later. A gloss undercoat would give the protection you need. Alternatively wipe the Matt paint down with Duck oil now and again, it freshens it up and protects!

Iain

The land rover has come back from repairs in a gloss so alright there when I bought it it was matt and i think that looks better