Dunkirk,movie

Enigma

Just went to see the movie and I'm impressed.

Even more because last Saturday at W&P we met Jeff Haward MM who was actually there at Dunkirk in 1940.

He turned 98! last Friday and is still going strong.

We met Mr Haward several times before and I even had the privilege to have him in the Dodge a few years ago in Vught.

IMG_5653 (Small).JPG

• Like 1

I went to see the Dunkirk Film, and thought it was OK. The Producer or Director, I forget which, was accused of not including Indian Troops on the beaches of which there were supposed to be 200 or so but they countered that by saying it wasn't a history as such but instead a film about the experiences of a few people. Fair enough I thought.

Having said that it did seem that the RAF only had three Spitfires and the Luftwaffe only one He 111 bomber and three Stukas. To my mind the beaches in the film were not as realistic as the film 'Atonement' filmed at Redcar which had far more wreckage including some realistic looking Morris Commercial CS8 trucks made of wood. I also noticed that nearly every British Soldier had a 'tin hat' painted in a dark green colour I can't match to anything on the helmets I own. They were more forest green than G3

It seems to me that any film about Dunkirk is impossible to make due to the vast canvas that it portrays. A few things; haircuts not right for the time and the age spread of the extras (supporting actors). The range would be 18 to late 40's as there were a lot of older men in the BEF and not all youngsters as seen. Container cranes seen in the distance. The last scene where the Spitfire burned had no engine but a scaffolding pipe, should have filmed it from the back.

However the small boat 'Sundowner' was the very boat 'Lightoller' of Titanic fame did use on Operation Dynamo. Some well executed dramatic scenes but as a movie there was hardly any story, the actors were not established properly.

I noticed the lack of engine.

OK, so no Indian troops but do every natinalit of the soldiers need to be shown?

I didn't see Belgians and Dutch troops either of civilians who must have been there trying to flee also. You can't cram in everything.

Yes I noticed the small number of planes but lets be honest, wouldn't it become to Michael Bay or Jerry bruckheimer Hollywood with lots of gasoline explosions,lots of screaming people, a love story and flag waving (like in Pearl Harbor). With a lot of planes to me it would be like a Battle of Britain meets Dunkirk. Maybe a $$ thing but I'd expect a deliberate choice.

What I thought was good was that they tried to shown the main branches involved with a focus of a few persons instead of hardware. So a few pilots instead of a lot of planes, 2 boat captains insted of focussing on the amount of boats. That they don't establish the actors isn't a problem to me, we can imagine what they went through without scenes of a soldier who had his Cat killed by a car as a boy laying the groundwork for a hidden trauma, you know what I mean). The atmosphere of the film, the impending doom and salvation says more than hundreds of spoken words.

This movie is more in tune with the British people as I see it, enduring without over the top drama and just getting on with things.

Yes, some mistakes are visible for us anoraks but not too bad (think a Harvard protraying a German bomber, and those kinda things from a lot of 70's war movies).

Edited by Enigma

The 1958 DUNKIRK film was on tellie today , starring John Mills. I guess it was aired with all the publicity generated with the recent movie just released , but the older version was free to watch ! I spotted a RAF Austin K tender and a WOA2 / and WOT2's , a QL and MW's , quite a variety . Morris and Humber PU's are seen in the actuality footage.

My wife and I went to see it in the IMAX format having read reviews in the Telegraph. The size of the screen and the enhanced sounds made you feel as if you were there in the thick of it.

It was worth going to see in this format, if only to appreciate the terrifying effect of the Stuka sirens, something that I have never fully appreciated in the normal cinema format. I felt transfixed, helplessly waiting for the bomb to drop.

Just another opinion.

John

I saw it yesterday. Not sure if I liked it .

The British just seemed to run away I know its a film about a retreat/ defeat but the British did some rearguard action as well as the French.

The problem with films is people forget that they are a fiction a story and become perceived as fact.

other opinions are available.

Everyone will have their own opinion of this film good or bad. I thought it was very good if you didn't over think it,

but the best bit is that it has got everyone talking about Dunkirk and all involved.

That's indeed a positive result, getting attention to those who were involved 77 years ago.

If we're discussing it and hopefully looking up what happened for real its a good thing.

Somebody on another forum made the comment, the uniforms look far too clean and new . I agree , these guys would have looked dishevelled , untidy and some would have lost helmets and pieces of kit. The actors are all in nice clean uniforms , issued yesterday.

Why are the movie people so afraid of a bit of dirt or a torn uniform . The props department stuffed things up.

I have actually put this film down as the best film I have ever seen - not just the best war film but the best FILM. I had a 'chat' with a 'stitch' Nazi the other day - his words, not mine - and he was ranting about how inaccurate XYZ was then he is completely missing the point of a war film. And actually I felt a bit sorry for him.

I pointed him to here... it kind of shut him down as this is what the film is all about - a brief insight to us from the men who were there:

[h=1]A 97-year-old Dunkirk veteran moved to tears by Christopher Nolan’s movie: “It was just like I was there again”[/h]

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/07/26/a-97-year-old-dunkirk-veteran-moved-to-tears-by-christopher-nolans-movie-it-was-just-like-i-was-there-again/

Saying it is 'the best film I have ever seen' is bit much Jack, really ? I would have to give careful thought to this question myself, lets see what I come up with but it would not be just one film. The recent effort of Dunkirk would not be in the Top Ten this week or any week......

I was disappointed. It seemed to be an action film just tagging on to the coat tails of the Dunkirk story. It seemed to get wrong very many quite important technical details (such as Spitfires [wrong] deployed at sea level, apparently with limitless ammo and an ability to glide for 10 miles, from 500 feet up.....silly) the scene dressing was thin ....... Lack of CGI was a boast, but boy did it need and deserve it. A bit of a mess. But my wife quite liked it, so there you go. Not the fault of the film, but why do they have to gave the sound at cinemas screwed up SO LOUD! Becomes a painful execs to watch and distracting. 3/10.

Have to agree with a number of other posters - hugely disappointed with it after so much anticipation. Seemed the very epitome of style over substance, concerned more with arty cinematography & (attempted) clever directorial tricks than actually telling a believable & compelling (& true, let us not forget!) story.

My partner & our daughter thought it was very good, but I've just watched a sub-2-minute trailer for the 1958 film that left me feeling more satisfied than this entire film did.

Horses for courses, though, as they say...

Went to see it last night........... Hmm.....:undecided: not what I expected, once I'd grasped the fact that I was presented with three different time frames running concurrently it made a bit more sense. It promoted some interesting discussions in the car on the way home with regard to the character portrayals the ladies were impressed with it and the chaps less so.

On balance I think I have a problem with 21st century actors portraying people I grew up around difficult to define but there is something in the mannerisms and responses to situations that is not quite right some how for me it's not just a problem with this film but a number of 30's and 40's based productions Iv'e seen recently.

Would I see it again........:confused:

Pete

Went to see it last night........... Hmm.....:undecided: not what I expected, once I'd grasped the fact that I was presented with three different time frames running concurrently it made a bit more sense. It promoted some interesting discussions in the car on the way home with regard to the character portrayals the ladies were impressed with it and the chaps less so.

On balance I think I have a problem with 21st century actors portraying people I grew up around difficult to define but there is something in the mannerisms and responses to situations that is not quite right some how for me it's not just a problem with this film but a number of 30's and 40's based productions Iv'e seen recently.

Would I see it again........:confused:

Pete

No :-X

Problem is some people go to see it Dunkirk and expect historical fact almost a documentary. Other people just go to see a story and do not even consider the facts, it is just a visit to the pictures. At least something is there to talk about. When the Americans rewrote history with the capture of a German U boat and the Enigma machine it was the same. I think the problem is the film makers and their backers they want to produce something to make money.