Bedford QLT restoration 82RB41

retalator

Hi everybody just took delivery of this bedford QLT. I am going to restore it back to its former glory. Was hopeing someone might be able help me out with a fee questions?

i have a copy of the key card which informs me its from the contract V4914 with a war department number of L559757.

As you can see it has a different WD on the doors L4819720 can anyone shed some light on this?

Will need some new tyres anyone know where i can get some?

attachment.php?attachmentid=127991&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=127992&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=127993&stc=1

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, from a fellow QL owner.

the census number on the door comes from a batch of numbers allocated for issue in the Middle East to a variety of vehicles. I would suggest this was a previous owner's work as it has obviously been in preservation at some point in it life, by the fact that the allied star is on it.

Thanks you for that information Richard, where did you find out that information. As i want to try and find out as much information about the life of this vehicle.

I started the restoration today by taking all the rubbish out the back. which leads me onto my next question. I found a wooden box in the back, does anyone know if this box was for the bren gunner at the front of the body to stand on, and if so is this one the original box or what some one else has made year after its army life?

attachment.php?attachmentid=127994&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=127995&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=127996&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=127997&stc=1

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

Thanks you for that information Richard, where did you find out that information. As i want to try and find out as much information about the life of this vehicle.

Hi,

To answer your question above, the census number information comes from a copy of the official B Vehicle census list, showing groups of numbers allocated to particular contracts for vehicles. Also having owned my QL for 30 years and studied and worked on British military vehicles for nearly 50 years, I have gathered information and knowledge along the way. My guess is this vehicle was in a collectors hands at one time and for some reason or another it has been out of use and been neglected. I am sure you will put it back into full working order again.

regards, Richard

Hi everybody just took delivery of this bedford QLT. I am going to restore it back to its former glory. Was hoping someone might be able help me out with a few questions?

I thought I recognised this truck, have a look at this thread -- http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?13244-Bedford-QL-Trooper

You'll see that nothing much has changed in the last few years. When I first saw this truck, it was sat in Kings yard at Bishops Lydeard near Taunton. I believe Kings bought it from an Army disposal sale, probably Ruddington and had used it to ferry workers to their various jobs. Kings were a very old firm of road contractors and when they folded the contents of the yard were auctioned off. The sale included a number of steam rollers and steam lorries as well as 40s and 50s lorries all in an abandoned state. This QL was sat beside two ERF tippers and was in remarkably good condition other than the rear diff was missing, you could tell because the rear axle was split in half. The body was complete with all the seats -- and in answer to your question about the box -- yes it is original and was fitted to the floor at the front.

A farmer from Crowcombe bought the truck, they bolted the axle back together without the diff and drove it home on the front axle and this is how it remained for many years as the truck was in regular use around the farm.

And a tip if you are going to work on the carburetor, use the gasketset with membranes from the 35 PAAI carburetor of the Citroen TractionAvant, they are easy to get and fit. Just did mine today.:):)

Groeten uit Holland

Hendrik

Thanks for that advice on the carburetor. I will deafently do that when i look at it.

Emerson

These pictures were taken in 2006, I've got some taken earlier, but I'll have to look them out

attachment.php?attachmentid=128008&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128009&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128010&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128011&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128012&stc=1

Thanks for the extra information on the history of the vehicle that fits in with what i was told when i got the vehicle. Not much has changed since these photos. Has i lot more rust.

Hi everybody just took delivery of this bedford QLT. I am going to restore it back to its former glory. Was hopeing someone might be able help me out with a fee questions?

i have a copy of the key card which informs me its from the contract V4914 with a war department number of L559757.

As you can see it has a different WD on the doors L4819720 can anyone shed some light on this?

Will need some new tyres anyone know where i can get some?

attachment.php?attachmentid=127993&stc=1

Brave Brave man :bow: I looked at that QLT in 2011 & walked away from it, from what I remember its a lot lot worse condition than the photos show ? he wanted £1200 for it then.

Bought a QLD soon after that needed restoring & then an Austin K5

I have started to dismantle the vehicle to day. I have taken the drivers door of which has ruted away. Can anyone post some pictures of how the bottom edge should be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128048&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=128049&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=128050&stc=1

Might be able to help you with mechanical spares & some body panels such as doors ? I have a few bits.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Want to start collecting the small bits and pieces I think are missing like window winder handles, wipers, etc.

Also want to start sending some of the small parts away for refurbishment like the wiper motors, and dials in the dash board also the light switch's. Does anyone know who can refurbish this? or is it possible to do thee parts your self? IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.13532e30f699afab68900d60170d500f.JPGIMG_1131.thumb.JPG.ff732eca3c92cd5c0fa0dc0882b22ce1.JPG

What switches are you looking to refurb, I have just reworked a QL instrument panel for a friend and found providing you disassemble them carefully and keep a photo diary and notes of what you are doing be patient you'll do it. I think this one is a little further along than yours

014.JPG

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This has taken alot of hours so far and more to go. I think next time i will have someone else shot blast it all down in one go.

i have been debating with myself what colour to repaint the vehicle. I have found what looks like s.c.c no 15 olive drab on the chassis.

4A6EF73E-8E4F-4886-9C74-3B9666E08905.jpeg