chieftain AVRE

adam best

I can remember having to modify them only too well. The first ones used a landrover prop shaft to provide drive to the PTO. We kept having to repair them as they were just not strong enough. We came up with the idea of using a prop shaft from an M1 rig which did the trick. Another weakness was the winch minted on the T-piece at the back. Used to go through loads of bits for that as there was no PVRV setup so if the load got too much it just blew a connection.

Hapoy days indeed.

​the plan is to convert it back to a mbt in time

Gun tanks are ten a penny, if it proves to be a Willich (or even a Sankey conversion) keep it as a rare engineering vehicle - much more interesting....

See the Range wreck thread - theres a series of photos of the Lulworth targets (or potential targets from 2010) largely compromised of AVRE's...

• 6 years later...

Wondering if anybody had come across Chieftain AVRE 04 EB 67, Willich conversion no 9. Believed to be in private hands and seen in a photo dated 2008. I was an Armoured Engineer and commander it. I was also part of the original trials team for this vehicle type and commandered one during the first Gulf War

Rob