Trooper H . May E.T.Y

snowtracdave

Once again I'm hoping the accumulated brain power of the members can help me out .

For a while now I've been wittering on to my brother that there is a member of our family whose name does not appear on the villages roll of those who fell in the two world wars but he has no recollection of the relative at all . I remember , many years ago , going with father to the churchyard at Langenhoe and there being a war grave there bearing the name of one of ours .

This morning I finally did what I've been saying I would do and diverted our dog walk to the churchyard . As you would expect , it is nothing like I recall form that time as a very small boy but , after battling round the brambles for a bit I found what I was looking for . But my memory had failed me on two counts - it wasn't a war grave at all but a small stone with a cross on top and the relative - Henry May died in 1910 . The inscription on his stone reads . Tpr Henry May E T Y . Died 17th December 1910 aged 17 years .

I have no reason to believe he died in action but I would be interested to find out a bit more about him . Can anyone tell me what ETY stands for and are there any suggestions as to where I might find out where he was in 1910 ?

Many thanks for any thoughts you might have to offer .

RAFMT has it right, I think.

Pre-1908 - Essex Imperial Yeomanry.

April 1908 onwards - Essex Yeomanry (part of the Territorial Force).

To find out what he as up to I'd try all the usual suspects - county records office, Ancestry, any regimental museum or association, etc.

Thanks for the replies thus far . It's taken me around 18months to get down to find the grave so it may be a week or two before I can get myself organised to check it again ! I wondered if perhaps it stood for Essex Territorial Yeomanry but was unsure if such an animal existed at that time .