Giles, the MV enthusiast

matchlesswdg3

Priceless, thanks for posting! An interesting take on immediate post-war surplus and the new MV owners.

Strangely it appears on your post as upside down, but when I saved it (I was going to rotate it) it saved the right way up :nut:

There is a nice potted wartime biography of Giles with lots of his cartoons in the format of the annual Giles Cartoon softback, by Peter Tory ( Headline Press, 1994) called "Giles at War". Then there is of course the original Giles Annual No 1 (1943-46) which I think is available as a modern reprint or stump up for the original edition. You can see by the cartoons, Giles attention to detail in portraying MVs.

It looks like a 4 ton Diamond T 968 Cargo, which raises a question, were The British Army equipped with Diamond T 968's, I know they had 980's and 969 Wreckers, but I cannot recall seeing any pictures of DT Cargo Trucks. Did The US Army have these Trucks in England, or were they delivered direct to Normandy after D Day from The US.

Tony.

It looks like a 4 ton Diamond T 968 Cargo, which raises a question, were The British Army equipped with Diamond T 968's, I know they had 980's and 969 Wreckers, but I cannot recall seeing any pictures of DT Cargo Trucks. Did The US Army have these Trucks in England, or were they delivered direct to Normandy after D Day from The US.

Tony.

I suspect some artistic licence was applied here to make the cartoon work.......a Bedford would look far too sensible!