REME quick tear down / assembly display Land Rovers

robin craig

Question

Am I dreaming or do I recall from country fairs or maybe the Royal Tournament from days of old that there was a race between two teams and specially prepared Land Rovers that drove into the arena and then came apart into major sub assemblies in a few minutes and then back together and drove out again?

Can we put any images and recollections on this subject into the public domain?

18 answers to this question

I think started with jeeps and then moved to LR's. Used to feature at the Edinburgh Tatoo now and again.

Basically it was an update of that obstacle course with a 'chasm' they used to have two teams hauling dismantled field guns over.

Canadian army soldiers from the 3 Area Support Group (3ASG) Technical Services Division stationed at CFB Gagetown strip and rebuild a Willys MB US Army Jeep in under four minutes during a local army services parade in Halifax.

http://www.military.com/video/logistics-and-supplies/military-vehicles/soldiers-strip-and-rebuild-jeep-in-minutes/694682404001

I saw it at the LRO show in 2008, but just had a trawl through their videos and cant see it. There has to be video footage of it someplace

The footage could be at:-

Jaguar Land Rover:-

http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/2016/heritage

The British Motor Museum, formerly known as the Heritage Motor Centre:-

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive

Wasn't there an Army, Civvy competion to build two 88 series 3 from the spares bins in 24 hours? I seem to remember two Mini Metros under going the same treatment.

Spares bins ?? the bins are still there but no spares, the last LAD I was in had next to nothing not even a few spare nuts and bolts etc. All spares are for jobs in hand or ordered in when required.

Can't say what the district and base workshops have now but they were similar.

This was a Jeep when I saw it in the 1970s 

A REME display team of three different colours;  one Red, one blue and  one white.

The object was for the teams to drive into an area stop and then at the start of the display to tear the landrover down or jeep move the disassemble parts approx 100 ft and then carry the chassis to the disaasembled components and reassemble and drive off.. The first team to drive off was the winner..  In 1973 my dads team won !! Got photo of the photos event too. 

In the late 1950s, my uncle and guardian, then REME Staff Sergeant John Childs based at Colchester, trained a team to dismantle a Willy's jeep, carry the parts across a footbridge and reassemble in under 60 seconds. Did this at various military tattoos. Must have been between 1957 and 1959 as we were posted to Sennelager, Germany by 1960. There was some Pathe News footage at the time, but I haven't located this anywhere since.