war & peace additional charges

terryb

please be aware if you are going to w&p with your family you will have to pay an additional daily fee per person to gain entry to the Hop Farm.

Unlike previous years, there is no access into the Hop Farm from the show-I had to take my family around to the front main entrance, and your wristband does not give entry!

Is the Hop Farm worth the extra charge? Coming up Monday from Italy with my 6 year old for the week...looking for alternative entertainment in the event that the W&P show fizzles out for us.

-Tom

Well, paid the entrance fee to go in the Hop Farm, as it was good letting the kids go and play and explore whilst 'weary' parents drank coffee-but surprise! EVERYTHING incurs an extra charge-even looking at the farm animals was £2 each!

1. There are more showers, that are clean & hot, than there used to be here. But adequate toilets seem to be in short supply for the volume of people wanting to use them, don't seem to match the levels at Folkestone.

2. Don't know the answer to that one.

3. I much prefer it here. Have not had to put up with those helicopter rides, generators or those excessively noisy late night disturbances (so far)

My experiences with all staff has been very good. Everyone seems to be polite & helpful. Marshalls are very much in evidence & I have seen them cope with issues with common sense & courtesy.

Hope to come again next year.

1. There are more showers, that are clean & hot, than there used to be here. But adequate toilets seem to be in short supply for the volume of people wanting to use them, don't seem to match the levels at Folkestone.

2. Don't know the answer to that one.

3. I much prefer it here. Have not had to put up with those helicopter rides, generators or those excessively noisy late night disturbances (so far)

My experiences with all staff has been very good. Everyone seems to be polite & helpful. Marshalls are very much in evidence & I have seen them cope with issues with common sense & courtesy.

Hope to come again next year.

Don't know which field you are in fv1609, but we have no showers in americas field, although the public camping has a nice block (which apparently we can't use) we have to walk to the main block or the pods nearby. We also only have about a dozen portaloos, which is only adequate due to the low footfall through our field, I certainly preferred the block units we had at Folkestone. I am fortunate as I live 2 mins away so go home for a shower!

Have to add staff are very good, had a few issues prior to the show downloading tickets and they e-mailed them over to me with a few hours of me contacting them and when I enquirer about bringing a support vehicle 2 days before the show, the e- mail I sent at 8.00pm was responded to positively ,within 20mins. There was good marshalling at the start with the two girls at americas stopping unnecessary traffic from entering the field due to conditions and pointing out which lanes still had available space.

I was there yesterday and chatting to the new organiser who is a personal friend. Someone came up and complained about the lack of toilets while we were talking. John said he'd take the blokes comments on board and investigate. He then told me that he'd had a visit that day from a guy who represents whatever authority that checks such things about the adequate toilet situation. They decreed a number of 98 individual toilets for the size of venue (I've no idea how they work it out?) As it happens there are 130 toilets on site.

I guess that the toilets are not situated close enough to everyone for comfort.

I also learnt that there is nowhere near an adequate plumbing system on site which had to be installed before the show and removed after (£????????) of course any showers/ toilets would have to be sited near to water outlets.

As I've said before, there are always two sides to a story, and my advice would be to talk to the organisers before you condemn them. They are fully aware that improvements can be made, but until then they can only follow the blue print of the previous organisers and make improvements as they proceed.

I thoroughly enjoyed my day and meeting up with old friends. The odd light rain and cooler weather meant I wasn't completely knackered by midday as usual, and I much prefer the Hop Farm over the racecourse. Ron

They decreed a number of 98 individual toilets for the size of venue (I've no idea how they work it out?) As it happens there are 130 toilets on site.

Having worked on running events before... Try these links...

http://www.tardishire.co.uk/index.php/portable_toilets/18

http://www.andyloos.co.uk/calc/calc.php

Both appear to indicate the event has been calculated to serve around 10,000 to 15,000 people total in attendance... exhibitors and paying public... given that there will be a different calculation for exhibitors than paying public.

How many exhibitors and paying public are there at site on a daily basis?

Why not just do your ablutions at WPR like a British Soldier did in Normandy in June 1944; certainly not daily, nor weekly. Instead wash the bits that matter out of a bucket / helmet and if you need to go do so in to a suitable container until such time as its convenient to empty it!

Plus its easy to buy a small portable toilet for your own use, especially if you have a 9x9 size tent.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-portable-flush-toilet-p342818?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnubLBRC_ARIsAASsNNnc0camG5IKehwsVM-ezNv97SXmQt1vKqQMYmwcdvQE_dfczi4tzRcaAkkqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by LarryH57

Why not just do your ablutions at WPR like a British Soldier did in Normandy in June 1944; certainly not daily, nor weekly. Instead wash the bits that matter out of a bucket / helmet and if you need to go do so in to a suitable container until such time as its convenient to empty it!

Then add to the WW2 experience by contracting dysentry, lice and trench foot! ;)

Having worked on running events before... Try these links...

http://www.tardishire.co.uk/index.php/portable_toilets/18

http://www.andyloos.co.uk/calc/calc.php

Both appear to indicate the event has been calculated to serve around 10,000 to 15,000 people total in attendance... exhibitors and paying public... given that there will be a different calculation for exhibitors than paying public.

How many exhibitors and paying public are there at site on a daily basis?

Good sites to visit if I ever intend to put on an event myself, which is unlikely although I have been known to organise stuff. I have no idea of the attendance figures, but I guess the organisers do. I gather also that a lot of individual groups and families either brought their own portaloos or hired them from local firms. These of course would not be included in the count of public loos.

To be clear, I'm not fighting anyone's corner! I'm just trying to give an unbiased opinion based on looking at it from both sides (Punter-Organiser)

Ron

I am looking at things through disability needs. We use two buckets to piss and **** in then dump in the chemical toilet point as wheelchairs through mud or just the Kitchener field conditions were not easy to do.

Drink driving to the toilet was discouraged by field supervisors.

As for trench foot and not showering that often, we boil water and mix it to a decent temperature, neighbours did complain about nudety.

I'm all for the authentic approach, unfortunately my wife and two kids aren't ! given in the past we have paid a small premium for these facilities it seems disappointing (in my opinion) that this year they are below par, especially given how good they were at Folkestone.

I went as a day visitor yesterday (1st year without a vehicle there) so through the eyes of a 'member of public' it was pretty good & I think it will get better next year once re-enactors, stall holders & vehicle owners realise this is a good show again.

It was crammed to the gunnels with vehicles, it needs Medway Field opened up for camping & Americas to be green again.

Americas field was the best laid out with more room ? road ways in better condition & it didn't smell like Monkton's.

Toilets never bothered me before as we took our own & there seemed to be enough there except they were all bunched up rather than spreading them out over the whole site.

Its was great to meet up with so many friends again & I did find some real gems regarding vehicle/motorcycle parts.

I don't see a problem considering its a cheep weeks holiday £25 + £10 per person ? this is a mates camp, its not really aimed at the public.

It's reassuring to know that many of you like to be clean, but for me I don't need shower blocks if I can sort myself out in my 9x9 with my bucket and bowl, which incidentally is a lot more than I got in the Army on a two week NATO exercise. We didn't even have a tent let alone a 9x9 to stand up in and I didn't get any of the previously mentioned illnesses. When we wanted to go we went in to the woods with our shovel, not that I recommend that for WPR.

Beware, details you may not want...:-D

Our friend said the stone toilet block was OK to use and it was delightful to see it clean.

The portaloo's in the America's field were more or less restocked in tim but I brought my own paper just in case it was all gone which happened a few times. The hand cleanser was allways filled when I used them.

My only gripe is the type of portaloo's. We had once before with the valve in the bottom of the bowl and hand operated blue water pump. This year were the type with open system so when you came in you were confronted with all kinds of horror's, including a underpants of some poor soul who might have overlooked the lack of toilet paper?

Taking a deep breath before entering and using a 1000 yard stare into nothingness did provide some solace to the situation. But they did get emptied before the Poo mountain grew to monumental proportions.

Every once in a while il looked as if a horse had taken a dump in it.:wow: So bring back the less visual type next type or even better the blocks on the Westenhager site near the entrance.

Where was Kitchener's field ? the programme only shows Medway, Americas Field, Little Monkton's (living History) Big Monkton's (living History) & Outer Monkton's

At westenhanger I believe there was a field with said name, first year it was in a after the harvest condition, next year grass seeded but bumpy because of ruts. It might not be a issue to most, but for wheelchair users a major inconvenience.

It was a lot better at Beltring, including the disability toilet at the farm it self, even if the key used was not a radar key.

Fields are rolled, near flat so, I have to give the organisation that much... It is better at the old home.

• 2 weeks later...
<snipped>

I don't see a problem considering its a cheep weeks holiday £25 + £10 per person ? this is a mates camp, its not really aimed at the public.

Looked from a MV owners point of view it's anything but cheap. Factor in the costs of getting a vehicle there, fuel or transport then the fuel costs for the week and it adds up. When I had the OT it was running between £500 - £600 in transport costs for the return trip with Rex going 50/50 on costs (apparently aid in transport costs is now only available to "rare" vehicles) and then I was burning though £200 worth of diesel whilst down there.

As/when/if I take the Militant down it will be in the order of £100 worth of diesel at today's prices just for the return trip, plus the return fuel for the support car to home and pick up either the UAZ or the Landrover then another £50 in fuel for the return trip in that. Then the running around costs. I doubt the Militant will move much one on site as the back is rigged for living (with a porta loo!! :cool2:) . Still not a cheap week.

But it is a FUN week and so I keep going! :) :)

But surely Neil the type of vehicle you choose to own is up to you. Any hotel or campsite costs will remain about the same whether you turn up in a Dodge charger or a moped.

I didn't feel at all guilty at the first Armour and Embarkation when I saw Jim Clark putting "ANOTHER" £200 pounds worth of petrol in his Sherman and I'd run the whole weekend on £6 in my BSA M20. This is only a light hearted retort Neil but I haven't worked out the smiley on here!! Ron