war & peace additional charges

terryb

agree with you 100% Ron

i drove my diamond t to W&P this year £300 just in petrol.

YWE last year £500 just in petrol.

A&E last year £300 in petrol, ok i was offered £150 to cover some of the fuel but frankly i didn't want it as that is not part of the hobby, you do it cause you enjoy it. only reason i accepted was Jack said it would cause him more headache's if i refused it lol.

i think if any one is worrying about the costs then perhaps you need to re think what you want out of the hobby?

there are other shows, more fuel efficient vehicles etc etc i get at best 5.5 mpg out of my DT and i only count the smiles per mile :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

But surely Neil the type of vehicle you choose to own is up to you. Any hotel or campsite costs will remain about the same whether you turn up in a Dodge charger or a moped.

I didn't feel at all guilty at the first Armour and Embarkation when I saw Jim Clark putting "ANOTHER" £200 pounds worth of petrol in his Sherman and I'd run the whole weekend on £6 in my BSA M20. This is only a light hearted retort Neil but I haven't worked out the smiley on here!! Ron

And taken as such Ron :) And I agree with greyhound32122 :) The choice of vehicle is ours as is the choice of whether to attend. I just made the point its not just a £25 week for the owners - there are other costs. Perhaps I should have said costs we pay happily, esp. now we are back at the hop Farm with that decent arena.

On a serious note though, being in Living History (and being sites by the permanent loo's this year) meant I got to hear a lot of off-the cuff comments from passers-by and one of the main themes was the lack of heavy post/cold war armour compared to the last time the show was there. WW2 seemed well represented but the number of 43x's and CVR(T)'s was visibly down although Nick Vaughan's OT-90 was there, there was the Leopard a1 the restoration firm brought over but no sign of the Centurion, Chieftain's, T55, T62 or T74's that have attended in previous years. I think the Centurion AVRE was about it for that era. Perhaps the reason(s) why might be investigated by the organisers for next year and some way found of encouraging the owners to return?

And taken as such Ron :) And I agree with greyhound32122 :) The choice of vehicle is ours as is the choice of whether to attend. I just made the point its not just a £25 week for the owners - there are other costs. Perhaps I should have said costs we pay happily, esp. now we are back at the hop Farm with that decent arena.

On a serious note though, being in Living History (and being sites by the permanent loo's this year) meant I got to hear a lot of off-the cuff comments from passers-by and one of the main themes was the lack of heavy post/cold war armour compared to the last time the show was there. WW2 seemed well represented but the number of 43x's and CVR(T)'s was visibly down although Nick Vaughan's OT-90 was there, there was the Leopard a1 the restoration firm brought over but no sign of the Centurion, Chieftain's, T55, T62 or T74's that have attended in previous years. I think the Centurion AVRE was about it for that era. Perhaps the reason(s) why might be investigated by the organisers for next year and some way found of encouraging the owners to return?

I noted that there is no comments about john pearsons valentine which was in the arena twice a day (We lost a road wheel on the Friday) and the Vickers medium which appeared a few times. Yes post war heavy was not around this year there was a lot of ferrets this year compared with other years in the arena.

Alec