Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the military vehicle price bubble burst ?

Default Re: Has the military vehicle price bubble burst ?

A Conductress Ducks for short in Newcastle and if they had to change over or the catynery came off the line, they were out the back lightening quick with their pole and away you went again.
    Last edited by john1950; 30-07-2017 at 17:18.

2. Advertisement

I think you mean conductress's
    MVT.
    M201 Jeep

That is what I meant thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MatchFuzee View Post
    With this Jeep having an estimate of £23,000 - £28,000 (+buyer’s premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%) I don't know if the bubble has burst because it sold for £27,000 last year.

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1...llys-jeep-9955
    If this Jeep* is an example of the current market, the bubble hasn't burst because it sold for £33,750 (+buyer’s premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%)

*All the owner has done to the Jeep in the year is balance the propshaft, fit a new fuel gauge, and replace one damper. Also fitted a dashboard mounted rifle holder and a realistic replica rifle.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sounds like someone who went bid happy. I worked for someone who paid £100 for a brocken wooden chair, because he wanted it! Others saw this and just ran the bids up for fun. The chair was on display for about a week , then got thrown out.

Mind you I also know someone who stopped bidding on a horse at £2000 because it went to £2100. Horse was named Mill Reef.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

I've enjoyed reading his thread, my interest in the hobby started with airfix & Tamiya model kits and then at age 15 I visited The Tank Museum...

On the subject of attracting young blood to the hobby, I was 30 when I purchased my first MV (my Militant) and that was four years after buying my first property. I've not had help from family in purchasing either. I was one of thousands of students in the early 2000s who went to university but should have probably gone into an apprenticeship or job. What little careers advice there was given was focused on which university to go to - driven by the government of the day.

Whilst at uni and for a while after I got a driving job with a large car rental firm which I loved as I enjoy driving. After uni and with £16,000 student debt I couldn't get a graduate job anywhere - too many graduates to compete with, I made just over a hundred applications. There's that supply & demand element again.

I'm glad it happened that way now as it meant I concentrated on the rental industry and moved from driving to a junior office job as a fleet administrator for a large HGV rental company. Over time I worked my way up to be Maintenance Manager in charge of six HGV mechanics & four workshop office staff. All this fitted perfectly with my interest in MVs and the knowledge and local contacts made at work has been invaluable in maintaining & storing my Militant.

My employers paid for my Class 2, I paid for my Class 1, I also managed to wangle a rough terrain telescopic handler & a lorry mounted crane course out of them.

Regarding the recruitment of trained mechanics/technical staff, we struggled for months to recruit HGV mechanics as the local hourly rate surpassed £13.50 an hour - we also have the likes of Rolls-Royce, Bombardier & JCB locally actively poaching HGV mechanics for £18 an hour. In the end we partnered up with the Ford Skillsnet apprentice scheme and we're lucky to have found a committed young lad who after six years in the job is now a good HGV mechanic - we had two applicants for this position when advertised. The last two mechanics I employed were the only two who applied for the job at ages 62 & 52 respectively.

Without all of the above I'd probably have purchased a Land Rover sized vehicle to join, learn & show at MV events. As regards the price bubble, my vehicle is niche so the prices seem stable over the last six years.

Interestingly, around the time I purchased the Militant I deleted my Facebook account and haven't been back since - these types of site hold much more interest.
    1971 AEC Militant MK 3 Recovery 87 ET 77
    MVT member 22555
    Based between Derby & Burton on Trent

It all depends on what era you are interested in I suppose.. I've always collected Soviet/Russian military gear and never had an interest in WW2. So when it was time to buy a vehicle I got a BRDM-2, which is an armoured vehicle for half or even a third of what a "common" Willys jeep is going for..

So in my mind I have the rarer vehicle , which is an armoured one to boot! With recent or current surplus vehicles like that it's still doable to buy them.. If you want to go WW2 it gets quite a bit harder..

TL;DR: A Jeep isn't the only military vehicle around.. Prices for those have gone crazy.. Looking into other era's (Cold war for example) is always a good choice
    1986 BRDM-2, former NVA. Now road registered in The Netherlands!

Smile Re: Has the military vehicle price bubble burst ?

Quote Originally Posted by militant-nick View Post
    I've enjoyed reading his thread, my interest in the hobby started with airfix & Tamiya model kits and then at age 15 I visited The Tank Museum...

On the subject of attracting young blood to the hobby, I was 30 when I purchased my first MV (my Militant) and that was four years after buying my first property. I've not had help from family in purchasing either. I was one of thousands of students in the early 2000s who went to university but should have probably gone into an apprenticeship or job. What little careers advice there was given was focused on which university to go to - driven by the government of the day.

Whilst at uni and for a while after I got a driving job with a large car rental firm which I loved as I enjoy driving. After uni and with £16,000 student debt I couldn't get a graduate job anywhere - too many graduates to compete with, I made just over a hundred applications. There's that supply & demand element again.

I'm glad it happened that way now as it meant I concentrated on the rental industry and moved from driving to a junior office job as a fleet administrator for a large HGV rental company. Over time I worked my way up to be Maintenance Manager in charge of six HGV mechanics & four workshop office staff. All this fitted perfectly with my interest in MVs and the knowledge and local contacts made at work has been invaluable in maintaining & storing my Militant.

My employers paid for my Class 2, I paid for my Class 1, I also managed to wangle a rough terrain telescopic handler & a lorry mounted crane course out of them.

Regarding the recruitment of trained mechanics/technical staff, we struggled for months to recruit HGV mechanics as the local hourly rate surpassed £13.50 an hour - we also have the likes of Rolls-Royce, Bombardier & JCB locally actively poaching HGV mechanics for £18 an hour. In the end we partnered up with the Ford Skillsnet apprentice scheme and we're lucky to have found a committed young lad who after six years in the job is now a good HGV mechanic - we had two applicants for this position when advertised. The last two mechanics I employed were the only two who applied for the job at ages 62 & 52 respectively.

Without all of the above I'd probably have purchased a Land Rover sized vehicle to join, learn & show at MV events. As regards the price bubble, my vehicle is niche so the prices seem stable over the last six years.

Interestingly, around the time I purchased the Militant I deleted my Facebook account and haven't been back since - these types of site hold much more interest.
    ---

Interesting to read , and QUOTE

I was one of thousands of students in the early 2000s who went to university but should have probably gone into an apprenticeship or job. What little careers advice there was given was focused on which university to go to - driven by the government of the day.

----

Government political will , yes you were directed - however you are probably unaware of the real truth.

Certainly on a UK regional basis (I was in a excellent position to witness) and probably nationally . Engineering training was annihilated at Technical Colleges by 1980 (certainly two different college machine shops I used were stripped out and equipped with stud-walls to train YTS how to emulsion , gloss and Artex. First year apprentice off-the-job full time training then the responsibility of local industry EITB workshops. I was born 1950 so was of the first year intake who had to do the similar EITB alongside Gity & Guilds craft . Of course the there had been (since 1950's) facility (G1 & G2 exams) to take the just sub-standard grades (failure at the 2nd part of 11+ , so to Secondary Modern , not Grammar School) . G1 & G2 - allowed entry to ONC (part-time) and OND (full-time, IIRC two extra subjects) - without the normally required 'O' level certificates. For apprentices , one full day at college and 2 or 3 evenings (doing "endorsement" subjects . Some would stay fully "in their trade" - a apprenticeship being 6 full years, others at 18 yrs. would convert to full time student on HND courses , often with a bolt-on as a "Junior Draughtsman" because you actually had to work during the holidays (other than the normal 2 weeks + Bank Hols.) . In the case of self - meaning another C&G T5 (Press Tool Design & Utilization) - that granted another "Full Technological Certificate". The system worked quite well - because you had the true 'technician status' within industry , when I had a problem on a 4-stage header tool for a National upset forger - I could at least talk to the Ch. Hand Die-sinker (that I had worked under for 6 months) on equal terms.

-----

Come Y2K , my elder son started at Lancaster Univ. (biology) , left 2003 . Passing on the M6 in 2004 there was a forrest of tower cranes on the site - I queried this with my son , yes they are intending taking in yet more 1000's of Chinese students p.a.
    This then seems a new 'growth' indusry for the NW region. The even clever Chinese students (seriously clever cherry-picked from a nation of 800 + millions) spread more thinly around the "Russel Group" Univ. such as Durham and Newcastle where by then my younger son was doing chemistry.

So - yes , what you now have greatly in UK Engineering industry remaining , just sufficent craft trained to get by , the button pushers who may have been painters & decorators if that business had not been swamped out , + univ. trained management overseer (most of whom never enter the work field that they gained their degree in).

Final rant , actually a rant to me by a British Gas trained gas fitter / all appliance engineer with CORGI cert's and I presume G&G's. his training being 3 years - then self-employed , with refreshers by the appliance makers he covers . He is complaining that his job is now ruined, about the area being flooded with 'certificate waving' service van drivers - pushed through by this QUANGO on a 6 month course (part of a armed forces demob. resettlement plan).. STANDARDS compliance ?? questionable - his comment.
    FULLTILT

Interesting topic ! I own a few military vehicles inc armour, my two lads aged 16 & 18 have no interest what so ever in military. Which of coarse is a great shame for me. I was recently offered a 1941 Willys MB Jeep in mint fully restored on the road condition, which my mate bought, only last week. So it just goes to show, not everything is mega money. In saying all that, I would say the average age of a military vehicle owner is 50-60 years old. So we desperately need new blood, how we achieve this I don't know. As most young people coming into the hobby, join re-enactment groups buy kit as it's a he'll of alot cheaper.
    One of the main organisers of the Yorkshire wartime experience show, NEW SHOW DATES 6-8th JULY 2018 Visit our website www.ywe-event.info or join our FaceBook Group. NOW THE NORTH OF ENGLANDS, BIGGEST MILITARY SHOW !!! As featured in Classic Military vehicle Magazine and Windscreen MVT magazine.Lots of military toys in the cupboard.

At least they are joining something, a few will get the bug or finance and move to bigger things.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information