Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferret Fuel Pump Woes

Default Ferret Fuel Pump Woes

Hi

Have spent a bit of time (along with others) in trying to sort out a Ferret Fuel Pump problem.

The conclusion we have reached is that the pump is not pumping when fitted to the engine. The pump works fine when it off the engine. When fitted to the engine, Fuel filter bled and fuel lines primed no fuel is reaching the carb.

The fuel pump is driven via a push rod and cam in the engine, are these prone to wear ?

Also what 24V electric fuel pump can anyone recommend and where is the best place to fit one ?

Cheers
    Richard

2. Advertisement

Default Re: Ferret Fuel Pump Woes

Hi Richard,
    an electric does improve starting, and gets rid of the flat spot when pulling away after idling in traffic. Plenty of cheap 24v pumps (ie ebay)
    Mount it away from the engine, (way too hot) in an accessible place,(n/s/r crew compartment) lower than the pickup tube from the tank (close to floor) and use an inline clear fuel filter on the suction side. This keeps the fuel cool until entering carb, being lower it shouldn't air lock, will self bleed easier, and if crud comes through from the tank, you can see it and get to it!
    I binned my old mechanical lift pump, and made a plate and gasket to go over the hole.

I agree a electric pump is better than the mechanical pump .The vehicle starts straight away on the first flick on the starter.
    Mechanical pumps can leak fuel into the oil due to a torn diaphragm caused with bad fitment or rot.

I quite like the fact that my ferret after being stored a while takes a bit to prime fuel system , gives a chance for oil to get round the internals

Hello, are you 100% sure the fuel line between tank and pump is air tight , I had lots of problems with my Humber pig which turned out to be poor connections in the fuel line preventing the pump from drawing the fuel from the tank . Replaced the faulty connection and had no problems since !
    I love Deep Bronze Green !

Is the fuel actually running freely from the tank? Not unknown for the banjo bolt to become blocked with debris/asphaltines. There is a mod to extend the bolt above the lowest point of the fuel tank.
    1971 AMG MUTT M151A2

Previously owned MVs- 3x LR 101 GS, 110 V8, Chevrolet Blazer K5, HD Wolf TUM, 3x Matadors, Zil 131, Ferret Mk1, Sankey trailer, Freuhoff Tilt bed recovery trailer

Ward LaFrance crew member A&E 2010, 2012

Qualified coal-hoofing spade-waver, Bluebell Railway 2015

Quote Originally Posted by griff66 View Post
    I quite like the fact that my ferret after being stored a while takes a bit to prime fuel system , gives a chance for oil to get round the internals
    yep I'm with you on this one, my pump was knackered but bought a couple of repair kits, fitted one and away she went. Also nice to know that it's as it should be. Being brought up on plugs and points system I think that so long as you have every thing set up properly then there shouldn't be a problem. I like to think that if I brake down and it's fuel or elecy I can fix it on the side of the road. But each to their own I guess.
    MVT Member.
    Dodge Weapons Carrier WC51. Dated 1944.
    Mk 2/5 Ferret. 33 BA 93. (Early 1951.)
    Series 3 109 Ex mil. Landy plus a sanky.
    And a room full of Uniforms, Deac's, Medals etc, etc,
    And a very understanding missus. (Who is starting to show more than a bit of interest.)

Hi

Thanks for the inputs and the advice on where to put an electric pump if we go down this route.

The banjo bolts are all free from debris, and as far as we can tell all the lines are airtight. We will double check and I will keep you posted. By the way the pump has had its diaphragm replaced.

Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 64EK26 View Post
    Hi

Have spent a bit of time (along with others) in trying to sort out a Ferret Fuel Pump problem.

The conclusion we have reached is that the pump is not pumping when fitted to the engine. The pump works fine when it off the engine. When fitted to the engine, Fuel filter bled and fuel lines primed no fuel is reaching the carb.

The fuel pump is driven via a push rod and cam in the engine, are these prone to wear ?

Also what 24V electric fuel pump can anyone recommend and where is the best place to fit one ?

Cheers
    Richard
    Old trick we used to do in REME workshops, put an airline blowgun on the tank breather pipe and get someone else to slacken the banjo on the carb, this will push the petrol through the system. Sometimes when pumps are dry they do not suck well. Another common issue was the Vokes fuel filter, drawing air in the banjo unions and sometimes at the sealing ring on the bowl.
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

It's not unknown to have to "wet the pump" on some of these old pumps. One of our trucks does this from time to time, so we have to remove a flexible hose and tip some fuel down the line. Messy, but gets her going. Pretty sure I had to do this on a Ferret too.
    1971 AMG MUTT M151A2

Previously owned MVs- 3x LR 101 GS, 110 V8, Chevrolet Blazer K5, HD Wolf TUM, 3x Matadors, Zil 131, Ferret Mk1, Sankey trailer, Freuhoff Tilt bed recovery trailer

Ward LaFrance crew member A&E 2010, 2012

Qualified coal-hoofing spade-waver, Bluebell Railway 2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information