Olive drab paint manufacturer

Skint George

Hi.

A few years ago I could get large aerosols and pots of olive drab paint from a company based near Stanley County Durham.

An old friend used to get it for me but i never knew the name of the company.

Before you ask, the old friend isn't about anymore so I can't ask him.

Anyone know this company?

Thanks,

George

Hi.

A few years ago I could get large aerosols and pots of olive drab paint from a company based near Stanley County Durham.

An old friend used to get it for me but i never knew the name of the company.

Before you ask, the old friend isn't about anymore so I can't ask him.

Anyone know this company?

Thanks,

George

How long is a few years ago ?

I can't think of any source ever - Consett/Annfield Plain / Stanley.

However , LoL - I am thinking this must have been in the days when Hunting moved into oil and paints , purchased the sheds @ Finnigans Eltringham Works @ PRUDHOE and transformed it in to a massive place producing all types of paints - own brands + badge (badge engineered) up in all types of cans - site now owned by AkzoNobel..

There have always been the odd 'bodyshop' paint mixer around , however actual manufacturer / canner . The nearest to Stanley that I can think of would be down the hill - PAX Paints @ Portobello Ind. Est, Birtley , can't remember when they went the Burton (I still have a unopened can of their Red Oxide ) , possibly their site were taken over by what is now the Tor / Blackfriar empire ?

Of course - the best source for MV paints in gal. cans , until about 10 years ago was Albany Motors LoL , possibly his son still has a interest ?

Edited by ruxy

No it isn't Tor paints.

Tanfield Lea rings a bell.

Albany Motors is a good idea.

I used to go there years ago to collect parts and I saw the old owners military police jeep.

Also a lad there was assembling a jeep tub on a wooden template on the floor.

They also had a SWB armoured car up on a ramp.

It was ww2 era but that's all I know about it.

They just might have some paint lying about.

Thanks for that.

George

No it isn't Tor paints.

Tanfield Lea rings a bell.

Albany Motors is a good idea.

I used to go there years ago to collect parts and I saw the old owners military police jeep.

Also a lad there was assembling a jeep tub on a wooden template on the floor.

They also had a SWB armoured car up on a ramp.

It was ww2 era but that's all I know about it.

They just might have some paint lying about.

Thanks for that.

George

They had / have the NE area recovery contract for the Army & did repairs / servicing when Maggie privatised.

His son had a M151 MUTT , done up as Israili - although it may have originated from there. The principle had a lovely WW2 Jeep , when he became deceased - I spoke with the new owner & his wife.

Tanfield Lea - know the area reasonably well - can't think of a paint factory there ever. Have known of two private paint factories in N. Yorks - both the size of a good double garage , one had a huge contract to mix up Corroless - that was a education.

I did work years ago for a paint supply firm on the Team Valley. I think they were called Morrell they were off the roundabout in the middle of Kingsway. There was another in South Shields next to the River I cannot recall their name.

I don't know if they are still there , a large factory on one of the Washington Estates 'Camrex Chugoku' , they would mix you sufficient of anything for the hull of a boat to the odd can of NATO IRR . Been there a few times for QA reasons from the early Camrex days - then everything in the North Sea I was involved with seemed to use Leighs of Leigh , Lancs. - excellent stuff ,,

It gets even better!

Albany Motors, Camrex chugoku and hopefully Morrell too!

As a Washington lad I'll check out Camrex, Morrell and Albany Motors and take it from there.

If my jeep doesn't sell in the next few weeks the paint pot comes out.

Nothing wrong with the paint work but olive drab does it for me!

Anyone wanna buy my jeep ?

• 5 weeks later...