Colouring for oil

Hello folks,

I find the level of the SAE 30 straight to be very hard to read on the Ferret dipstick for the gearbox. There's very little contrast. A friend said he used to use green Duckhams SAE30 to improve matters. That'll also help diagnose things if the oil bleeds through into the transfer box for any reason.

Does anyone know if you can get suitably coloured oil, or if there is colourant that can be added?

cheers, Mad Scientist

• 1 month later...

The Aussie Army used perhaps still do a red dye in the final drives of the APCs to give a tell tale if a housing had cracked.

I was warned the stuff is a known carcinogen and to always maintain zero exposure to it.

If you talk to one of the big oil company help lines, they probably can suggest something, hopefully human friendly.

Regards

Doug

Hello folks,

I find the level of the SAE 30 straight to be very hard to read on the Ferret dipstick for the gearbox. There's very little contrast. A friend said he used to use green Duckhams SAE30 to improve matters. That'll also help diagnose things if the oil bleeds through into the transfer box for any reason.

Does anyone know if you can get suitably coloured oil, or if there is colourant that can be added?

cheers, Mad Scientist

hi,

you are thinking too deeply on this one! As someone else said, just lay the dipstick on a piece of paper or the back of your hand and you will see immediately what the level is. Another way is to black the dipstick, either a flat black paint, stove black or similar and you may find it shows the oil up better than a natural finish metal.

Hi

One simple solution is to drill very small holes in the dip stick at the measure marks. The holes will retain the oil and is easier to see the level. This is a very old trick I first came across on Fords of the 40s seen it on several engings so it must have been a common trick.

Cheers Phil

Hi

One simple solution is to drill very small holes in the dip stick at the measure marks. The holes will retain the oil and is easier to see the level. This is a very old trick I first came across on Fords of the 40s seen it on several engings so it must have been a common trick.

Cheers Phil

Phil

I would be concerned about weakening the dip stick.

Centre punch dents will do the same job.

Regards

Doug