why don't we do our own show?

terryb

Just a thought. why don't we do our own show? no public, so relative freedom to do whatever, no more fleecing exhibitors/stallholders/joe public every which way possible. It must be cheaper, less hassle, greater attendance, and more fun!

Didn't IMPS shows start as club only events?

What do you think?

No, the first IMPS shows were public events.

We started the shows originally at the Kent & East Sussex railway at Tenterden and then moved to the Whitbread Hop Farm. The primary aim was to have a show for club members and allow members of the public in to offset costs. By the time we moved to the Hop Farm where there was a good public footfall, we were in serious needs of funds and so it was almost a gamble in that we sank most of the club funds into providing the show and shared the take with Whitbreads. Luckily at that time they were not the most efficient of groups and one year we were allowed to organise (and take the profits from) the catering and that boosted the club funds no end. Then we allowed our Events Secretary to take control and the rest is history. By the way, his name was Rex Cadman!!

We started the shows originally at the Kent & East Sussex railway at Tenterden and then moved to the Whitbread Hop Farm. The primary aim was to have a show for club members and allow members of the public in to offset costs. By the time we moved to the Hop Farm where there was a good public footfall, we were in serious needs of funds and so it was almost a gamble in that we sank most of the club funds into providing the show and shared the take with Whitbreads. Luckily at that time they were not the most efficient of groups and one year we were allowed to organise (and take the profits from) the catering and that boosted the club funds no end. Then we allowed our Events Secretary to take control and the rest is history. By the way, his name was Rex Cadman!!

Hi Tony,

I well remember that first show at Tenterden, Nigel Hay blitzed the local countryside with posters to attract the public there. He still tells that story too ;)

cheers Richard

Years ago the Devon and Cornwall area used to run an event called the "Culmstock Field Meet"... this was a members only event.

I think the land was owned by a local farmer, I think we had use of a barn... and beyond that it was just camping in a field.

Road-Runs out with some green-lanes, and a bit of mud.

To arrange such an event - you just need to know someone with some land.

Tim

Hasn't any kind of DIY event these days been spoilt by the need for Public Liability Insurance? And forgetting PLI for a moment even a members only meeting would need some form of Health & Safety plan and a briefing for paricipents, plus some reasonable steps to stop owners of a tank (for example) driving over people sleeping in their tents. Then there is the issue of who would take the time off work to set up the area to be used which might take more than a few days and the same to clear up afterwards; would it be the same people year after year giving up their time for others. And thats before toilets and showers have been considered!

Us tankies always said we would like to hold an event just for vehicle owners. Get the use of a training area such as SPTA or Borden and have a weekend playing. No road runs, just lots of off road. Huge BBQ and beer tent for the evenings!

Sounds good to me!

Hasn't any kind of DIY event these days been spoilt by the need for Public Liability Insurance? And forgetting PLI for a moment even a members only meeting would need some form of Health & Safety plan and a briefing for paricipents, plus some reasonable steps to stop owners of a tank (for example) driving over people sleeping in their tents. Then there is the issue of who would take the time off work to set up the area to be used which might take more than a few days and the same to clear up afterwards; would it be the same people year after year giving up their time for others. And thats before toilets and showers have been considered!

Not so hard to arrange. Have run private WW2 battles before. Yes you need suitable place, PLI, H&S Risk Assessment, notify Police, sort out wrist bands, rules, timetable, toilets (if you want a Shower - get a B&B). Ensure book in advance - no on the day entries etc... ideally walking distance to a good pub with great food and an accommodating landlord. Possibly even a small website.

The above can be managed by a very small (last time I did one, there were two of us to set it all up and run it) - unless you are planning a cast of thousands.

It all changes though once you move away from Private members only event to inviting members of the public.

Tim

nice to hear some positives!

free fuel & transport-no-that's where the paying public came in

live firing-yes!- and has been done in the past, but you gotta supply your own ammo!

venue-there are many fabulous places with accommodating landlords-we don't have to use existing showgrounds

toilets-many exhibitors bring their own-or rent a plastic palace quite cheaply

booze-a local pub would provide bar facilities foc for the amount of alcohol he's going to sell to us lot!

grub-most people would want to do their own barbies anyway

not sure where we stand on liability insurance, as assuming our vehicles are insured, LI is included, so technically we are all insured anyway (I'll wait for the comments on this one....)

All this idea needs to get off the ground is a team dedicated enough to take it on, and the willingness of us to help

Sounds like going this way means you dispense with the re-enactors; don't forget that they want an audience (ie the Public) and there are also many groups that fall between the two stools in that they are MV people who have gone to the bother of creating a set and/or they are aiming to collect for a charity.......these people want Joe Public. If you want purely MV events, then is this not where the MV clubs and their sections come in? Organised clubs already have an admin framework to work with, local contacts, experience and PLI! "All" it needs is a few people with the drive, enthusiasm and imagination to put together an event. I understand that while it IS a publc-attended show, the highly successful IMPS Combined Ops show in Kent was set up as a sort of an antidote to the megga W&P Show; while it is geared to attract paying Public attendance and is now managed by a private concern, it still has the feel of "our" MV show, which the new version of W&P most certainly does not!

I went to a private show last weekend. There was two steamers and about 2 dozen tractors and a few lorries activities included ploughing/cultivating and winching demonstrations; which are always problematic to set up for paying visitors. It was all set up on a do what you want/ when you want basis really; a large barbeque to cook what you brought with you. The only onlookers were a few interested locals who got to hear on the grapevine.

I am fairly sure all involved considered it a great success and will be a better but not necessarily larger thing next year.

I don't really see why it is considered necessary to consider risk assessment or any other documentary plan for such a scale event.

I always used to go to a great event, it was in a field behind a pub. The owner of the field wasn't the owner of the pub and he "tolerated" our prescence but didn't actually give us formal permission. It was on a similar do what you want basis and don't aggravate anyone else there was enough space. Someone used to get a barrel of beer and the sawing area provided wood for the braziers. It was brilliant and people used to come from far and wide and bring the best interesting exhibits. Onlookers weren't encouraged but weren't stopped. It only fizzled out because the pub closed.

• 2 weeks later...
Years ago the Devon and Cornwall area used to run an event called the "Culmstock Field Meet"... this was a members only event.

I think the land was owned by a local farmer, I think we had use of a barn... and beyond that it was just camping in a field.

Road-Runs out with some green-lanes, and a bit of mud.

To arrange such an event - you just need to know someone with some land.

Tim

The Devon area funded it and the field was owned by a member

Often thought that rushmoor arena, longcross or slab common would have made a great show place! Saying that I went to capel this year for the first time and found it a revelation like W&P a few years back!

I think the biggest issue would be costs of land toilets/showers etc but a few donations would make it possible I guess. Doesn't your MVT subs now give you PLI?