9.00 x 20" Tyres.

PB1954RNS

Question

Hi Can I ask a question that might of been on this web site before but need to ask it. My Albion BY5 has 9.00 x 20" tyres, the originals were cross country tyres made by Dunlop, Firestone, Goodyear and India, sadly so far unable to find replacements. I have been offered tyres of the U.S Bar Grips of the same size but found on other web sites that the bead on a US tyre is at an angle and a British tyre has a straight bead . Can I ask are there any problems with using U S Bar Grips on a British wheel - has any one fitted these tyres on their own British lorry - your advice and help most welcome.

Next fitted inside the cab is a rack to hold a pick head and handle, are these a standard item, does one rack fit all lorries or is this only for Albion's. Would any one have any details about this rack or have one for sale.

There will be a delay in replying as the wife is dragging me on to a cruise until 23rd July.

Many Thanks.

Paul Burns.

19 answers to this question

Hi.

Just to say many thanks for the replies about 9.00 x 20" tyres. I have seen the web site for Withams and checked their tyre list for 9.00 x 20" tyres, the only problem for me would be going to check them out before bidding. I have brought tyres before with out properly checking them and it cost me £90 to get them scrapped as the tyre fitters refused to fit them as they were full of cracks on the side walls and in the tread.

So taking in the driving to Colsterworth, what I would pay for them with VAT, 2 day van hire, hotel and fuel costs - I live in North Bristol - it was going to be too costly. So I found a company that sells brand new 9.00 x 20"Bar Grips made in India - had a chat with them about fitting and then ordered on line, plus free delivery. Also this included inner tubes and flaps, for me a winner as they turned up the next day ready for fitting.

Cheers.

PB.

Hi.

So I found a company that sells brand new 9.00 x 20"Bar Grips made in India - had a chat with them about fitting and then ordered on line, plus free delivery. Also this included inner tubes and flaps, for me a winner as they turned up the next day ready for fitting.

Cheers.

PB.

Interested to hear how they fit on British rims, photos of the tread pattern would be useful too

Pete

At least with this tyre there is the comfort that they will be relatively recently made and should be still supple and free of cracks. Query the tread pattern for a British truck though.

STA -" Speciality Tyres of America" still make an interesting range of sizes including a 10.50 x 16 with a very authentic tread for British/Canadian vehicles which I am road testing at the moment.

Its the only authentic looking option but comes at a horrendous price !

Edited by David B.

At least with this tyre there is the comfort that they will be relatively recently made and should be still supple and free of cracks. Query the tread pattern for a British truck though.

STA -" Speciality Tyres of America" still make an interesting range of sizes including a 10.50 x 16 with a very authentic tread for British/Canadian vehicles which I am road testing at the moment.

Its the only authentic looking option but comes at a horrendous price !

My son has just fitted a set on the C30 David, bit of a tight fit on the rims due to the 5' bead angle but they seem very good, he says it has certainly transformed the ride from the originals at 8 ply there is a bit more flex in the side walls as opposed to none with the run-flats. Your right about the price though eye watering :wow:

regards

Pete

Practically every British MV Owner is in the same boat as you.

Other than "Speciality Tyres of America" no one is making British pattern track grip tyres in any size.

We will all eventually end up on Bar Grips at some stage, unless of course a certain tyre company in the Far East with the Dunlop Moulds can be persuaded to restart production.

Just fitted 4 of these STA tyres from Withams to our K9 and for the record, they are 12 ply and fit British rims. Interestingly, they are labelled as Bedford genuine parts, so I can only imagine they were bought for the Beddy Light and have been held in store somewhere. They are in new condition and include flaps. The only difference between these American pattern tyres and the British pattern is that these have square shoulders, whereas the British types have round shoulders, but how serious do you want to get over this? They look brilliant and only you and I could spot the difference.

I've now got at least 8 second handers if anybody is interested. PM me for photos - I shall be listing them on flea bay after the rally season

attachment.php?attachmentid=127791&stc=1 Hi. just a quick photo to show how I found the Albion on a farm Nr Wrexham, she had been standing out in the open for few years. I have quite a few photos of her restoration but thought that there wasn't the interest to see them.attachment.php?attachmentid=127792&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127793&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127794&stc=1

First photo is the new cab side as the old one had been cut at wrong angles and was a poor fit.

Next is the cab side fitted and the new locker, This was just a piece of plywood bolted to the frame work to hold two 5 gallon plastic drums of fuel, these were quickly removed. I had to build the locker up from using a war time photo when the lorry was supplied to W.D from Albion Motors. The fuel tank was just for show and I have made up new pipe work to connect it back to the original fuel system.

Last is the markings I put on her.

As for tyres, well I have been trying to get the correct tyres for a couple of years now with very little success and have reached the point of do I fit commercial tyres or fit bar grips on her. There were a couple of bar grips on the front but these were taken off as they were scrap. As much as I would like to make it as per build but I want to get the lorry moving again - so it's bar grips. I did try Dunlop tyres to see if there was any interest to make new tyres as part of heritage tyres but told no interest.

I also contacted STA about their tyres and would they fit but just passed on to an company who would sell me the tyres but would work out for 4 over £1,000 just to buy them.

So unless any one knows of a secret store hidden away in some British Army Depot full of 9.00 x 20" to fit WW2 vehicles I'm slightly stuffed and the bar grips have it.

Will put a photo of the tyre this weekend and I hope subject to this weather fit it on Sunday, but if I make a c--k up I wont let you know!

PB.

img015.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=127791&stc=1 Hi. just a quick photo to show how I found the Albion on a farm Nr Wrexham, she had been standing out in the open for few years. I have quite a few photos of her restoration but thought that there wasn't the interest to see them.

PB.

You have an extremely rare truck there, perhaps even unique, there is most definitely interest in hearing and seeing what you are doing with it, why don't you start a thread in the restoration forum with photos and a bit of explanatory text starting with when you acquired it? I'm sure you will attract a lot of interest.

Is this the truck that at one time resided in a well known yard in Oxfordshire ? before it was dragged out and restored by the previous owner ?

Pete

Hi. Yes it is - I got from Mains scrap yard in the early 80's and had to sell it on due to the lack of storage. The poor photo shows it just been pulled out of the trees and my camera decided to play up. It has come back to me and this time will get it moving again.

I will start a file showing the restoration of it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127802&stc=1

Cheers.

PB.

img027.jpg

Remember it well first saw that truck and the other one that was with it way back in 1975, did it still have the spare half shafts in the lockers behind the cab when you pulled it out ? Good to see it's still about, a number of people often ask what happened to it.

Looking forward to your restoration blog, as you may have seen I have a leaning towards British 6x4's myself ;)

regards

Pete

Hi Pete.

When I found it there was nothing in the lockers and the half of a Albion that was parked next to it was in a bit of a state. I met up with Ray Main in his house to buy it, he told me that the other Albion had been cut in half and the rear half was sold to a farmer what for he had no idea. The rear two towers as you can see from the photo were missing and also the rear diff on the last axle was missing. This is still the same situation as I cannot get a rear diff so might have to reverse engineer the diff I have now.

I tried to buy the remains of the other Albion as it was only fit for spares but he wanted too much money for it - have some photos of it will dig them out and put on this site.

The only bad point about owning the Albion is trying to find spares for it, the 6 cylinder petrol engine and the 8 miles to the gallon.

Cheers

Paul Burns.

Hi Paul,

Firstly, may I congratulate you on saving such a wonderful piece of machinery all those years go, and I too remember the half shafts in the locker .

Pete A, who I have known for quite a few years, remembers the Albion(s) as I do way back in the mid 70 's, when I recovered my WC51 from the same yard ( now fully restored ). The remains of the other one are still there, and as Ray Main sadly passed away last year , it maybe worth contacting Anthony to see if you can rescue the remains of the other one.

Keep us posted on the rebuild.

Best regards

Keith

( Looking for 20mm Polsten bits and pieces)

Hi Keith. Many thanks for your message, I have sent a P.M to Pete about asking Anthony Main about the old Albion remains. Maybe about 20 years ago it could of been saved as a long time project, when I last saw it in 2011 it was slowly but with some grace falling in on it's self.

When I first saw the Albion lorry, I had no idea what it was or what it did but looked a mean sort of lorry and I brought it.

Sorry to hear about Ray passing away and I know that Main family have had a troubled couple of years.

Well the sun is out and nearly time to play tyre fitter with the new tyres, but first, another cup of tea and some breakfast.

Cheers.

Paul.