Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: No. 200

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Caithness, Scotland
    Posts
    603

    Default Re: No. 200

    Woo Hoo!

    Bright bits would be the clamp and the rolled-edge?
    Generally the bright bits would be the hotter region. Perhaps the colour settings are reversed or they are acting as a heatsink?

    Or, thinking laterally, perhaps the test was subjecting the coil to influences of higher external temperatures to see if it would break down? the clamp being hotter and the rolled edge where it touches a surface?

    Hmm....

    Alec.
    06FL90 Rover 11 Mickleover Ambulance (1972 Built, 1974 DIS, 1998 Discharged, 1st Regt Royal Fusiliers ) Camper.
    12FL08 Shorland Mk3 APC (1972 DIS, 1986 SO, Ulster Defence Regiment)
    71AW65 FV2412 Sankey (Rapier) 1-Ton
    Meadows 27.5kVA No1 Mk1 Generating Sets
    M1009 (Chevy K5 Blazer) - Looking for an M101A2 Trailer!

    Collection of Cooker No.1/Hydra Burners and Field Kitchen Accessories - Always looking for bits and pieces!

  2. Advertisement

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    11,512

    Default Re: No. 200

    Alec the brighter areas were radiating the most heat.

    This is a coil that caused someone to continuously break down on a trip to a show recently. He gave it to me for scientific research, this coil was run for 20 mins with 12v whilst periodically measuring the insulation breakdown at 5kV.

    The supporting clamp was clearly a useful lump of metal to absorb & the radiate heat. The increased radiation around the collar was due to layers on engrained dirt that clearly had a beneficial effect in heat radiation.

    The are some repro 12v coils around that are gloss black & this seems to be a good idea. Further benefit would for the clamp to also be black.

    A further benefit would have been if the whole assembly was in matt black to improve efficiency further. I recall that the early versions of Gen Panel No.2 were originally gloss black, but later modifications included repainting in matt black.
    Clive Elliott

    Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    FIFE
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: No. 200

    It's worrying where Clive's mind goes to when no Dads Army

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    11,512

    Default Re: No. 200

    Yes I sometimes wonder whether to buy the whole box set & renounce my TV license, then be guaranteed something to watch on Sat night.

    I notice nobody has attempted to guess the subject of the "grainy black and white photo" which is again thermal but using a B&W filter.
    Clive Elliott

    Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    FIFE
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: No. 200

    Quote Originally Posted by fv1609 View Post
    Yes I sometimes wonder whether to buy the whole box set & renounce my TV license, then be guaranteed something to watch on Sat night.

    I notice nobody has attempted to guess the subject of the "grainy black and white photo" which is again thermal but using a B&W filter.
    After the colour photo I think we all were wondering what your mind was up to

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    11,512

    Default Re: No. 200

    Well the B&W was not strictly military, it was something I spotted in the long grass one night. The heat is retained for some while but the image shows evidence that it was quite recent. I think I'll leave the description at that. Even so I suppose in some circumstances such evidence could of tactical value to an enemy.
    Clive Elliott

    Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,518

    Default Re: No. 200

    Quote Originally Posted by fv1609 View Post
    Well the B&W was not strictly military, it was something I spotted in the long grass one night. The heat is retained for some while but the image shows evidence that it was quite recent. I think I'll leave the description at that. Even so I suppose in some circumstances such evidence could of tactical value to an enemy.
    Not faeces !!
    Richard Farrant

    1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    11,512

    Default Re: No. 200

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
    Not faeces !!
    Yes well done Richard I knew you would come up with some specialist knowledge



    Although these extra items crept in unexpectedly, it important for us in the fields here to identify, defuse & dispose of them in a safe manner to avoid entanglement after the cooling off period.

    From a strategic point of view it is worth remembering that a battalion will produce 4.5 cu ft of this type of material per day, that needs to be rendered safe. This is important from a health point of view, but operations of a covert nature could be jeopardised if proper attention is not paid to proper concealment or disposal of the stuff. I think I remember being told that the SAS carry their material with them rather leave any evidence of their prescence.
    Clive Elliott

    Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,518

    Default Re: No. 200

    It's a minefield out there, watch where you are walking
    Richard Farrant

    1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    FIFE
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: No. 200

    Quote Originally Posted by fv1609 View Post
    Yes well done Richard I knew you would come up with some specialist knowledge



    Although these extra items crept in unexpectedly, it important for us in the fields here to identify, defuse & dispose of them in a safe manner to avoid entanglement after the cooling off period.

    From a strategic point of view it is worth remembering that a battalion will produce 4.5 cu ft of this type of material per day, that needs to be rendered safe. This is important from a health point of view, but operations of a covert nature could be jeopardised if proper attention is not paid to proper concealment or disposal of the stuff. I think I remember being told that the SAS carry their material with them rather leave any evidence of their prescence.
    I knew we should have been worried where your mind was going, looking for the box set of Dads Army right now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Cherished Vehicles Insurance