Business end of the 'No.1 burner' (or whatever that petrol cooker of amazing ferocity that requires a trench and a load of dixies is called) in operation?

Looks like that Chris but this is just a thermal image rather than a true photo.

an artistically photographed ignition coil?

Honestly Clive, you've plummed new bizarre depths with this one.... :nut: :-D

Alec.

Alec I've left you to last as you got it in one

Well done Alec it is indeed an ignition coil & viewed with a thermal imager

Can anyone guess what the significance of it is, especially the bright bits?

Detail of a tank gun barrel with and without the sections of thermal sleeve in place........

There's not much detail in a thermal image to come up with much else - its hot or its got some form of insulation or lagging wrapped round it....

Detail of a tank gun barrel with and without the sections of thermal sleeve in place........

There's not much detail in a thermal image to come up with much else - its hot or its got some form of insulation or lagging wrapped round it....

No lagging around it.

Alec I've left you to last as you got it in one

Well done Alec it is indeed an ignition coil & viewed with a thermal imager

Can anyone guess what the significance of it is, especially the bright bits?

Bizarre depths is about right.......

Bring back the grainy black and white photos of arcane tests on vehicles in an obscure MoD lab in the back end of nowhere....

Woo Hoo! :-D

Bright bits would be the clamp and the rolled-edge?

Generally the bright bits would be the hotter region. Perhaps the colour settings are reversed or they are acting as a heatsink?

Or, thinking laterally, perhaps the test was subjecting the coil to influences of higher external temperatures to see if it would break down? the clamp being hotter and the rolled edge where it touches a surface?

Hmm....

Alec.

Alec the brighter areas were radiating the most heat.

This is a coil that caused someone to continuously break down on a trip to a show recently. He gave it to me for scientific research, this coil was run for 20 mins with 12v whilst periodically measuring the insulation breakdown at 5kV.

The supporting clamp was clearly a useful lump of metal to absorb & the radiate heat. The increased radiation around the collar was due to layers on engrained dirt that clearly had a beneficial effect in heat radiation.

The are some repro 12v coils around that are gloss black & this seems to be a good idea. Further benefit would for the clamp to also be black.

A further benefit would have been if the whole assembly was in matt black to improve efficiency further. I recall that the early versions of Gen Panel No.2 were originally gloss black, but later modifications included repainting in matt black.

Yes I sometimes wonder whether to buy the whole box set & renounce my TV license, then be guaranteed something to watch on Sat night.

I notice nobody has attempted to guess the subject of the "grainy black and white photo" which is again thermal but using a B&W filter.

Yes I sometimes wonder whether to buy the whole box set & renounce my TV license, then be guaranteed something to watch on Sat night.

I notice nobody has attempted to guess the subject of the "grainy black and white photo" which is again thermal but using a B&W filter.

After the colour photo I think we all were wondering what your mind was up to