smoking

darrentovey

hello,can any one shed any light or come across this before,sorry for sounding stupid:embarrassed:..i put the top of my dodge engine together...starts fine,but smokes,its buring oil....I have taken off manifolds again:nut:,,to find quite a lot of oil building up inside the inlet manifolds,,please please has some one got an answer,i will post a pic or two if I can figure out how to,,darren

20170706_160922.jpg

20170706_160932.jpg

20170706_160937.jpg

20170706_160943.jpg

20170706_160948.jpg

hello,can any one shed any light or come across this before,sorry for sounding stupid:embarrassed:..i put the top of my dodge engine together...starts fine,but smokes,its buring oil....I have taken off manifolds again:nut:,,to find quite a lot of oil building up inside the inlet manifolds,,please please has some one got an answer,i will post a pic or two if I can figure out how to,,darren

Is it an Over Head Valve type engine? If so - take a look at the valve stem seals.

Hi Darren,

You don't say what you did to your engine, assuming you did not remove the head? Sounds like inlet valve guides are worn and oil being sucked up through them...... there are no valve seals on side valves.

cheers Richard

How much oil have put in the air filter bowl ? it you have over filled it the air flow will draw oil mist into the the inlet manifold. Also seen a similar problem when the air filter had been removed and tipped up so that the oil in the bowl saturates the gauze

worth running with the filter off for a short while to see if the problem remains.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
missing word

In that case look at what Richard suggested.

Probably the question that Darren needs to address first is: did the engine smoke before he did what ever he did. It would help the diagnosis to know exactly what that work involved.

If yes then it could well be as Richard suggests and/ or excessive blow by and oil mist (caused by worn or broken rings)being drawn out of in the crank case into the inlet manifold via the PCV mounted on the inlet manifold .... do have one of these fitted Darren? .....and is it the right way round?.

It would be worth while doing some dynamic tests with a vacuum gauge to see what state your engine is in followed by static compression and leak down readings if the simple solution doesn't fix the problem.

Pete

Just a thought, looking at the condition of the flange faces on the manifold, it would be a good idea to have the manifold skimmed to provide a good seal on re-assembly. A good seal at the manifold is important for a good running engine.

Regards

John

:nut:thankyou to all..yes it was smokey before I done works,which involved head removal to replace gasket as it had gone,(overheating)there was a heater attached I guess added in Norway..anyway I lapped the valves in,decoked,new thermostat ,ht leads.plugs points ect.when I got it the fuel was rotten,it stank where it was so old,i thought that could of caused some of the excess smoke....can the valve guides be sorted with the engine in situe?or will engine have to come out?once the engine is sorted I can carry on with the other bits and pieces,i welded a couple of bits in here and there sorry,,,have you guessed that I am no mechanic???:(,thanks,darren

20170620_150826.jpg

20170620_150849.jpg

Hi Darren,

If you had the valves out, did you notice any side to side movement of the valves? If they are worn then likely they will not be seating well, even if you lapped them in. If you do find the guides are worn, when they are replaced, ensure that the seats are recut, that way they will true to the guide.

Darren, you really would benefit from running some tests before you start changing things or taking the engine apart again, otherwise I'm afraid you are just guessing at what the problem may be. Buy a vacuum gauge off e-bay around £12 to £15 you need the un-damped type connect it to the vacuum wiper take off on the carb or the PCV valve input on the inlet manifold run the engine up to operating temperature and read the gauge it will potentially save you a lot of wasted time and money follow this link on how to interpret the readings you obtain http://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/03/31/vac-visual-quick-guide-vacuum-gauge-readings/

Pete

I am going to put the manifolds back on and try to diagnose the problem as you said,i do have a vacuum gauge tester,,many thanks,i will update,sorry I am not on here much ,I am very busy,as I guess we all are,darren;)

Darren,

Having had another look at your posted photos, as someone else suggested, the oil could be from an over filled air cleaner, so wash out the inlet manifold first and leave the air cleaner disconnected to see if it still smokes.

and don't forget the obvious, ...check the oil level to see the sump is not overfilled, had a dodge with same symptons, the fuel pump was leaking petrol into the sump and had filled it right up, oil level was so high it was sucked through the PCV valve into the inlet manifold producing clouds of smoke

Edited by Nick Johns

• 10 months later...

Darren,

Pete Asbey's advice is good, dont start ripping things apart until you have a good idea where the oil is coming from. 

Check the sump oil level and the air cleaner oil level as suggested, check the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hose for excessive oil.  Also get a torch and look down each intake port at the stems of the inlet valves (you will have to remove the inner mudguard to get a good look).  If the oil is being sucked up the inlet valve stems (which I doubt) then the stems will be wet with oil.  Obviously once you find the source (s) of the oil then you can set about putting them right.

Cheers

Ian