Hi. I have just brought a battery for the Albion BY5 and have used an Exide Premium Battery 12 volt. 100 - 72AH - CCA 720 - CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amp. The battery size is 278mm x 175mm x 175mm and fits in the battery box in the Drivers seat.

I had a chat with the Sales Man about the type of battery needed to crank over a 6 cylinder petrol engine as I wanted a battery with a bit more power and not go flat after a couple of try's of starting - choice of 5 batteries and this one was the best. The only down point is - if it was fitted to a car, it had a 4 year Warranty but as it's going on an 1944 Albion - only 2 year Warranty.

PB.

Hi. I have just brought a battery for the Albion BY5 and have used an Exide Premium Battery 12 volt. 100 - 72AH - CCA 720 - CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amp. The battery size is 278mm x 175mm x 175mm and fits in the battery box in the Drivers seat.

I had a chat with the Sales Man about the type of battery needed to crank over a 6 cylinder petrol engine as I wanted a battery with a bit more power and not go flat after a couple of try's of starting - choice of 5 batteries and this one was the best. The only down point is - if it was fitted to a car, it had a 4 year Warranty but as it's going on an 1944 Albion - only 2 year Warranty.

PB.

What is the UK battery ref. It may assist me to identify a Bosch & all I have is their battery ref. & so far I have got nowhere.

-----

Seems similar (other than the dims) to a tractor size 643 , 663 or 664 346m long x 175mm wide x 232mm high

the normal SAE CCA being between 620 and 680 , 110 A/hr at the 20 hour rate.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

What is the UK battery ref. It may assist me to identify a Bosch & all I have is their battery ref. & so far I have got nowhere.

-----

Seems similar (other than the dims) to a tractor size 643 , 663 or 664 346m long x 175mm wide x 232mm high

the normal SAE CCA being between 620 and 680 , 110 A/hr at the 20 hour rate.

S4 007 Bosch Car Battery 12v 72Ah Type 100 S4007

8880posfrontright.pngauto-post.jpg

[TABLE=class: table table-condensed table-striped]

[TR]

[TH=class: cat-spec-tab, colspan: 2]Specification

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brand

[/TD]

[TD]Bosch

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Range

[/TD]

[TD]Bosch S4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Voltage

[/TD]

[TD]12 Volts

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Technology

[/TD]

[TD]Wet

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Capacity (C20)

[/TD]

[TD]72 Ah

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CCA (EN)

[/TD]

[TD]680 A

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Length

[/TD]

[TD]278 mm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Width

[/TD]

[TD]175 mm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Height inc. terms

[/TD]

[TD]175 mm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Guarantee

[/TD]

[TD]4 Years

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

S4 007 Bosch Car Battery 12v 72Ah Type 100 S4007

8880posfrontright.pngauto-post.jpg

[TABLE=class: table table-condensed table-striped]

[TR]

[TH=class: cat-spec-tab, colspan: 2]Specification

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brand

[/TD]

[TD]Bosch

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Range

[/TD]

[TD]Bosch S4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Voltage

[/TD]

[TD]12 Volts

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Technology

[/TD]

[TD]Wet

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Capacity (C20)

[/TD]

[TD]72 Ah

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CCA (EN)

[/TD]

[TD]680 A

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Length

[/TD]

[TD]278 mm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Width

[/TD]

[TD]175 mm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Height inc. terms

[/TD]

[TD]175 mm

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Guarantee

[/TD]

[TD]4 Years

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

========================

This is the problem with Bosch - they don't use 'our' codes , scroll down here - it seems in fact to be a 075

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/bosch-100/

So far - I have not been able to do this with the battery by Bosch I wish to identify , it is 1" shorter than a standard UK tractor sise battery.

Unfortunately - the battery went the journey , all I have is the odd pic. showing the Bosch code.

I was cleaned out by a Irishman giving me £10 for old batteries , so the story went - he just wanted the acid to clear his nozzels (am start) on his pot hole filling 'Jet' contraption. I should have asked more , later I did ponder how a relatively weak electrolyte acid can dissolve tar ??

http://slickpic.us/1405307uMMN/?play

It was ideal in the under-seat (passenger) of my early S2A LR (petrol originally - now with a 2.5na) battery box.

Presently I have a tractor battery fitted, this is 1" longer then the Bosch and unbelievably tight in length (greased to get it slid in) , width is fine. However the main problem is that the height is a bit more than the Bosch and thus it is not safe to use the alloy lid cover , I suppose I could bond a sheet of rubber to the underside - presently I run with a rubber mat over and just the seat cushion squab.

I did once try and contact Bosch UK , however they have so many divisions - ISTR that I was directed to a battery firm (that may in fact be Tayna) , I sent a email query (full details of battery data / dims. + pic. ) and received no reply.

Hi. With regards to the battery, for the Albion BY5 I got mine from Euro Car Parts and part No 44477106 - cost £128.96 plus the VAT, but as I was a first time buyer I brought it for £85.30 plus the VAT total price of £102.36.

The old battery fitted to it was a Banner Battery - 566038/57212 - 66Ah, 72Amp , 510A. I made contact with Banner Batteries asking for details about 57212 as I couldn't find it and they changed all the codes and start with a 9.

What details does your workshop manual give about the original battery.

P.B

Thanks for all the info on Batteries a local farm supply store found me just the right ones. The old girls up and running again.

But a word of warning with the price of scrap metal slowly on the way up keep an eye on your batteries as theft is on the increase.

Too late but might help others.

Alpha batteries in Rochdale usually have good prices for both their own budget range and branded e.g. 075 £50 own brand, £65 Lucas and £90 for premium Bosch. They stock car, classic car, commercial and leisure fittings.

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/battery-type/

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/battery-type/075/