Photobucket.......

bigduke6

When Photobucket says you have exceeded your capacity it isn't referring to the number of images or amount of photos.

It is referring to the amount of Bandwidth used by your photos being accessed by Third Parties, read Forums.

I've stopped using Photobucket and not tried to post any further photos off it and my old images appear to be remaining.

It could be if you don't keep using it you may have your photos survive.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It is so sad that so many albums and threads here on HMVF are now stripped to extremes of their photos. Bookmarks to most of the photos I've seen and wanted to return to have no photos now..... and not because the posters have been banned. Humbers, gone. Scammells, gone. :(

Photobucket's actions are rather arbitarary, draconian and unfair, especially if I'm correct in assuming no warnings were issued prior to the mass extinctions. Perhaps there is legal recourse available or was this option not available because of weasely wording in the smallprint that posters signed up for?

I also wonder if the forum pages are web-archived, frequently if at all and can be seen 'as was', if only to help posters discover which photo they'd put where?

OK.It took me a while but I have Imgur sorted. First thoughts are that it is better than Photobucket. We will see.

I just had a look at this. Have to admit my first impression is that uploading bulk images is a right royal PITA!! Sometimes it will take more than one image, most times only one. Once up it does look more user friendly that PB.

Lets see if the image link works:

dWGyl2g.jpg

OK - thats as easy as PB - just got t work out how to upload bulk images in order to swap from PB to Imgur!

I just had a look at this. Have to admit my first impression is that uploading bulk images is a right royal PITA!! Sometimes it will take more than one image, most times only one. Once up it does look more user friendly that PB.

Lets see if the image link works:

dWGyl2g.jpg

OK - thats as easy as PB - just got t work out how to upload bulk images in order to swap from PB to Imgur!

---

When you get bulk upload sorted - possibly you can give us all a crash course instructions ?

Hi All

With nothing to base this on but a truly synical point of view about the future of the internet, my guess is that this sudden action by Photobucket is a last gasp action before they go under completely.

My recommendation to anybody who has photos stored with them is download all your photos and save them to your computer. Will bet anyone (one stale donut) that within one year Photobucket will be gone.

Cheers Phil

Hi All

With nothing to base this on but a truly synical point of view about the future of the internet, my guess is that this sudden action by Photobucket is a last gasp action before they go under completely.

My recommendation to anybody who has photos stored with them is download all your photos and save them to your computer. Will bet anyone (one stale donut) that within one year Photobucket will be gone.

Cheers Phil

If they are going to start trying to charge users $400 a head for using the site as it was originally intended then I think that's a certainty Phil.

I normally post photos straight from the Picture folder on my pc, never have any problems. Never used Photobucket, etc. and I know there have been issues before with other members losing pictures of their posts by using that medium.

If you upload straight from your picture folder doesn't that cause an extra cost for HMVF?

• 3 weeks later...
I normally post photos straight from the Picture folder on my pc, never have any problems. Never used Photobucket, etc. and I know there have been issues before with other members losing pictures of their posts by using that medium.

Just happened upon this problem, and found this thread.

I didn't know you could post photos direct to the forum. How do you do this and is any reason not to?

Thanks, Richard

Just happened upon this problem, and found this thread.

I didn't know you could post photos direct to the forum. How do you do this and is any reason not to?

Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard,

It is easy if you have your photos in your computor's photo file.

When you post a message on here, scroll down on the page for Additional Options, then click on the box saying 'Manage Attachments'. A window comes up and in top RH corner click on 'Add Files'. Box comes up, click on 'Select Files', this brings your file pages up where you can select you photos from.

cheers Richard

Hi Richard,

It is easy if you have your photos in your computor's photo file.

When you post a message on here, scroll down on the page for Additional Options, then click on the box saying 'Manage Attachments'. A window comes up and in top RH corner click on 'Add Files'. Box comes up, click on 'Select Files', this brings your file pages up where you can select you photos from.

cheers Richard

Thanks

and another one still courtesy of Photobucket

Just remove the URL & post the Dsc05762a_zpse7843461.jpg

The clue is in the thumbnail above, Photobucket just don't want people linking to 'third party' sites without getting some cash. Your original Photobucket folder is unchanged, which is why you can still see the pictures there, they have just stopped linking to external sites, I assume you can still share with other PB users.

Google offers free hosting

jh

Got this back in response to my query as to why the album download function was not working. The more cynical amongst us may go "Ooooh - what a surprise - when they are facing losing hordes of subscribers this particular feature gets "broken""....

Hello,

Thank you for emailing us. There is a known issue with the album download feature and our team is currently looking into it.

In the meantime, you can still download your images with the following steps:

• Step 1. Login to your Photobucket Account
  • Step 2. Navigate to your library page
  • Step 3. Click on a photo to enlarge it
  • Step 4. Click the download button
  • Step 5. The picture will be saved to your computer

Thank you for your patience at this time.

Best,

With album containing images number over two or three hundred this is not really a viable solution......

Went to use the IMG tags on another forum tonight - and found that Photobucket have now disabled linking that way. The IMG code still shows to the right of the screen but you cannot select it any more. All you can now do is share in a FaceBook post or an e-mail - both of which just carry hyperlinks back to the photobucket page containing the image.

There was a survey link as to what i thought of their service up tonight so i took the chance to have a go politely about the way their greed had screwed up lots of valuable resources like these forums by them demanding we pay business rates to keep the 3rd party hosting and linking. I said a reasonable % increase on the existing plans would not have been argued with had they said they were incurring on-costs from these services but most who use it are NOT businesses and cannot afford $400 a year so are looking for alternate services. I ended by pointing out they could still make the change back as its not too late. Yet!!

Went to use the IMG tags on another forum tonight - and found that Photobucket have now disabled linking that way. The IMG code still shows to the right of the screen but you cannot select it any more. All you can now do is share in a FaceBook post or an e-mail - both of which just carry hyperlinks back to the photobucket page containing the image.

There was a survey link as to what i thought of their service up tonight so i took the chance to have a go politely about the way their greed had screwed up lots of valuable resources like these forums by them demanding we pay business rates to keep the 3rd party hosting and linking. I said a reasonable % increase on the existing plans would not have been argued with had they said they were incurring on-costs from these services but most who use it are NOT businesses and cannot afford $400 a year so are looking for alternate services. I ended by pointing out they could still make the change back as its not too late. Yet!!

Well said Neil.

This problem with photobucket has affected so many forums around the Internet, including all the modelling and hobby forums. I run a small modelling forum, based on VB 4.x, and have for some time used a VB add-on that imports all photos posted in threads onto my own webspace.

Obviously, I don't want every single photo every posted on the forum so instead I created an Archives sections that no-one but the admin can post to. I then set those forums to be the ones that import all images to the local web storage. Whenever there's a great thread full of photographs that I feel is worthy of preserving then it gets moved, when the thread is 'finished', to the archives...which are viewable by all and findable via the standard search function!

It's probably a bit late to fix this photobucket nightmare but going forward it might be something that Mods can look into for the future. If we can then get the pics fixed in some of the more important damaged threads then perhaps it'll go someway towards mitigating against the perniciousness of Robert Curdog's influences on Photoshop!

BTW, your account on Photobuck is still there, and so are all your photos. It's still free to have the account and upload photos it's just not free to share those photographs to other websites. So, as a backup facility it's still good, as asharing platform it's now redundant. I suspect the migration of accounts has already begun and eventually and it may well be that all Photobucket has done here is shoot itself in the foot and I'm expecting this bone-headed move to signal the death knell of this platform.

If you do migrate to a new photo hosting site then do remove all your photos off Photobucket and delete your account, it's the only way to let them know the folly of their ways!