WW2 Radio

Hi all, I'm looking for a WW2 Banana Radio. It will be for display only so no need for it to be in working order. Have seen some on the old fleebay but most are from the Nam era. Hopefully someone can help out.

Cheers Steve.

Banana Radios are a Post-War American radio, which is why you are getting Nam era dates. The WW2 radio was the SCR532 (also known as BC611), which was a rectangular shape.

Edited by woa2
Added a bit more info

Banana Radios are a Post-War American radio, which is why you are getting Nam era dates. The WW2 radio was the SCR532 (also known as BC611), which was a rectangular shape.

Ah, thanks for the info. I googled WW2 US Army Radios and that's what came up. I know the set you mean, just a long rectangular box with a circular ear piece and an angled circular mouthpiece. Am I correct with that. Are there many out there that you know of or seen any for sale in the UK.

Cheers Steve.

The one shown above is the correct phone you want. There was an airborne model and the difference is the base unit as it plugs into a glider's intercom and can be removed easily. Also, a BC611 is a very short range set and is only used for platoon use, less than a mile. To turn one on, you pull out the telescopic aerial and press the rubber switch on the side to talk. They are on a fixed wavelength and this is written on the card at the side. To alter the wavelength, you replace 2 crystals and a coil inside the set.

The French used these after the war, and did produce some for their Army.

• 2 years later...