HSE Safety Alert - Track Tensioning Incident

andym

We don't have a safety section as such in the Forum, so I'll put this here.

The UK Health and Safety Executive have released a warning about an accident with a track adjuster on a (non-military) item of plant where the grease nipple was ejected with fatal results. Just beware if you are using a hand-held grease gun and standing in line with the grease nipple.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/t ... ioning.htm

Andy

This is relating more to plant than AFV because they have fixed trackgear, ie. no suspension, so that is why the tensioning rams are under such high pressure because of the springs on them. Still good advice regarding anywhere a grease nipple is fitted and grease is pumped in under a high pressure.

The bit of advise in the HSE bulletin about not parking tracks on wet concrete is priceless.

Leaving aside the specifics of the task being carried out when the accident happened, it is a good idea to raise awareness of the potential for Hydraulic Injection Injury. No doubt there are plenty of MV's and associated vehicles which use hydraulic systems, not to mention the equipment used in restoration and maintenance.

Try Googling "Hydraulic Injection Injury" if you have a strong stomach...:wow:

Thanks Andy,

this has happened to me when pumping up a cvrt track and then pulling off the grease gun connector-the grease nipple failed and bowled me over with a sharp jet of grease to the head!

lesson learnt-I use one of the 'handy andy' pump cans-hose is long enough to keep you out of harms way, and it has a bleed thumbscrew so you can release pressure before pulling off the connector