Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pennant Flags

Default Re: Pennant Flags

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post

Vol 4 Warpaint, as previously indicated in my Libya thread has glaring inaccuracies. One such is the statement that vehicles never wore camouflage paint!
    I think you may be thinking of another book - Vol 4 clearly shows a photo of a camouflaged Queen's Bays Centurion in Libya and Vol 3 says, "In 1959 the regulations stated that the colours specified for MELF were stone or light stone..." He makes no reference there to camouflage schemes, but acknowledges that vehicles in the North Africa area have tended to be in a one-colour... scheme" but does mention disruptive schemes in the Persian Gulf in the same period. I can find no use of the word "never", but, yes, there are one or two inaccuracies, whether they are glaring or not is debatable.

But, I have yet to find any publication which covers anything I have been intimately involved with which is entirely accurate. Dick Taylor covers an enormous field - 100 years - and does so well and with generally a higher degree of accuracy than many who write on considerably more limited fields - I think of the various learned tomes on Land Rovers, for a start. And there's always the "Weapon of Magnesium..." which gets trotted out at regular intervals!

But, let he who is without sin... If, in due course, you do write your book, then I would implore you to employ a good, and knowledgeable, proof-reader. A writer cannot do that for him, or herself as he will be blind to the errors, reading only what he expects to see. That is where so many of the kinds of book which we read fail - and once it is in print, it's too late! I go through all my reference books, but I only correct in pencil because sometimes, just sometimes, I'm wrong myself!

10 68

2. Advertisement

Default Re: Pennant Flags

Quote Originally Posted by 10FM68 View Post
    I think you may be thinking of another book - Vol 4 clearly shows a photo of a camouflaged Queen's Bays Centurion in Libya and Vol 3 says, "In 1959 the regulations stated that the colours specified for MELF were stone or light stone..." He makes no reference there to camouflage schemes, but acknowledges that vehicles in the North Africa area have tended to be in a one-colour... scheme" but does mention disruptive schemes in the Persian Gulf in the same period. I can find no use of the word "never", but, yes, there are one or two inaccuracies, whether they are glaring or not is debatable.

But, I have yet to find any publication which covers anything I have been intimately involved with which is entirely accurate. Dick Taylor covers an enormous field - 100 years - and does so well and with generally a higher degree of accuracy than many who write on considerably more limited fields - I think of the various learned tomes on Land Rovers, for a start. And there's always the "Weapon of Magnesium..." which gets trotted out at regular intervals!

But, let he who is without sin... If, in due course, you do write your book, then I would implore you to employ a good, and knowledgeable, proof-reader. A writer cannot do that for him, or herself as he will be blind to the errors, reading only what he expects to see. That is where so many of the kinds of book which we read fail - and once it is in print, it's too late! I go through all my reference books, but I only correct in pencil because sometimes, just sometimes, I'm wrong myself!

10 68
    Yes, indeed, Vol3. Thanks for that. But they are still glaring inaccuracies or omissions, in my view, as I'd bought the 4 volumes (one at 140, yes, 140) to 'get to the truth' and, failed! I knew already from 'hard' evidence that at least two regiments wore camouflage in Libya, the Bays and a battalion of 'that' author's own regiment, 5RTR. There may be other regiments, who knows?
    Vol4 has the photo of, as you've said, the Bays' Centurion with splendid striped antennae. Now, on the subject of pennants and flags .... Vol4 ( er, yes, Vol4) has a whole illustrated chapter on the subject, page 85 to 104.
    My book? Yes, very sound advice, thank you, to employ a proof reader of the specified ilk. He or she will be found, of that I'm hopeful.
    I shall post something more about 'expert' authors, possible errors, omissions and wishy-washy photo captions in my Libya thread as I search for more knowledge regarding a published book, a photo, a caption and, my photo of the possibly the same sand-coloured thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information