Crossley IGL 3

smiffy

In 1985 I obtained a Crossley IGL3 in a very sad state .I had already restored a IGL 8 which is now with John Crossley a descendant of the original firm . I started the restoration and had the truck about 90% finished but many other projects got in the way and it has sat for many years unfinished . I have now retired and started the restoration again .

I decided to redo a lot of the previous work as I now have much better facilities and it has sat for at 20 years

attachment.php?attachmentid=126745&stc=1

The first job is the engine , When originally restored I was short of some parts such as an exhaust manifold and the correct Simms auto advance unit for the mag drive

I have now enough parts to build a better engine and will post some more pics if anyone is interested

attachment.php?attachmentid=126746&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126747&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126748&stc=1

Mike Smith

crossley as found 2.jpg

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0544.jpg

Me too !

I have been playing with historic military vehicles for 47 years now and have never knowingly even seen an IGL3 so would be fascinated to see it in detail. To see the level of interest in the minute details of restorations look at the number of views of the first few threads in this section of the forum. Most people will never get the opportunity to work on pre war vehicles so it is great that some owners are prepaired to put in the extra effort and let us join in, if only with moral support and bright ideas.

Thanks for going public.

David

Some picture of the Simms auto advance as found and during repair over the last weekendattachment.php?attachmentid=126752&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126753&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126754&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126755&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126756&stc=1

As found the unit was missing part of its front cover so i made one out of a piece of ally about 5 inch o/d and 1 inch deep will post some more photos of it when its finished tomorrow

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.JPG

In 1985 I obtained a Crossley IGL3 in a very sad state .I had already restored a IGL 8 which is now with John Crossley a descendant of the original firm . I started the restoration and had the truck about 90% finished but many other projects got in the way and it has sat for many years unfinished . I have now retired and started the restoration again .

Hi Mike,

The IGL8, would that have been the one laying in a dealers yard in a wood in Kent? I remember seeing it in the late 70's when we were there looking for a lorry to restore. I think that I saw it some years later on the HCVS London to Brighton.

Look forward to seeing your restoration of the IGL3 now.

regards, Richard

attachment.php?attachmentid=126775&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126776&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126777&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126778&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126779&stc=1

Some more photos of Simms auto advance and i picture of a piston and con rod as removed from engine. The damage had happened while the engine was stationary and the big end was still attached to the crank. I have a very good theory as to what caused it but would welcome other peoples views

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

The only thing that comes to mind to explain how a conrod in a stationary engine could get bent is that water filled the combustion chamber and then froze many times, gradually pushing the piston down the bore. If this started with the piston at TDC the conrod might have been the weakest link. I have never seen it before though, usually the cylinder is burst instead.

David

The only thing that comes to mind to explain how a conrod in a stationary engine could get bent is that water filled the combustion chamber and then froze many times, gradually pushing the piston down the bore. If this started with the piston at TDC the conrod might have been the weakest link. I have never seen it before though, usually the cylinder is burst instead.

David

That is exactly my thoughts . The plug had corroded enough to let water into the cylinder and with both valves shut over many years that was the result . I certainly happened some time after the engine was last run .Unfortunately I dont have many photos when I was first working on it

The IGL3 Bi Block engine is interesting as I believe it has direct linage to the 1909 bi block sidevalve 20 hp engine.

I think a more modern engine was offered to the RAF at the beginning of the war, however the RAF elected to have the older engine.

The timing cover plate would probably be interchangeable as would the fan mounting off the block.

Block water pipe connections to the blocks are identical.

The Brass crankcase air breather is identical to the 1913 20 hp engine.

I am currently doing research on the engine designer so it would be interesting to know was this engine discontinued?

I suspect the end of the war or just into the 1950's?

John Crossley has on occasion invited me for lunch in the other IGL which was very kind of him.

IMHO , that rod is bent far more than the accepted expansion of water when frozen (9%) hence - I would say it took a power stroke.

It would have been the result of many frosts over the years and water would freeze from the top down so each frost would push thee piston down a bit more and every time it thawed a bit more water would seep in . It definitely did not happen when the engine was running as the conrod was between two webs in the crankcase and if that had happened with the engine running it would have damaged the webs but they are unmarked

That is exactly my thoughts . The plug had corroded enough to let water into the cylinder and with both valves shut over many years that was the result . I certainly happened some time after the engine was last run .Unfortunately I dont have many photos when I was first working on it

Are you certain that somebody at some time has not attempted to turn the engine while just the one piston was corroded solid in the bore, or against a hydraulic lock? A misguided but determined effort to free the engine, using a long bar for leverage, could have had the same effect.

Edited by mtskull

I would equate the con-rod to such as a joiners G clamp manufactured by Record from a malleable iron , does the intended job well for years provided you just use normal torque on the wing-nut - anything more and the I section beam just readily twists out of shape. Require better clamping - buy a drop-forged one.. It will be one of the "economic" SG (annealed) cast irons , used also for cylinder heads and engine blocks + con-rods , simply the block was more rigid than the rod.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

No cnc I just use a rotary table and a dividing head and use form cutters and finish by hand as the outside dimensions only need to match the cast front piece . If it had been any more complicated i would have made a pattern and cast it but not worth getting the furnace going for one small item