Advice please on buying & finding a WW2 Bulldozer or tracked vehicle for a low loader

I'm looking to buy a Bulldozer, WW2 era or post war that looks wartime that I can use with my Autocar U8144 and low loader trailer which I'm restoring. I'm looking at say a 2-6 ton vehicle and the low loader is 25 foot, 5 foot of which is the swan neck. I only have a rough idea of whats out there as its not an subject I've had much experience of.

In the perfect world I would have liked a bren carrier or similar tracked vehicle but they are now of course getting very expensive so my rationale is a dozer is more affordable, but any other ideas or suggestions of something that would look good on a low loader to take to shows would be most welcome.

Could anybody please give me their views on Caterpillar/International/Allis Chalmers etc. It would need to have a dozer blade or a loading shovel. I'm happy to consider a finished vehicle or something that needs some work and I would really value ideas or even leads on suitable vehicles that maybe out there.

Thanks in advance for any info :-)

I'm looking to buy a Bulldozer, WW2 era or post war that looks wartime that I can use with my Autocar U8144 and low loader trailer which I'm restoring. I'm looking at say a 2-6 ton vehicle and the low loader is 25 foot, 5 foot of which is the swan neck. I only have a rough idea of whats out there as its not an subject I've had much experience of.

In the perfect world I would have liked a bren carrier or similar tracked vehicle but they are now of course getting very expensive so my rationale is a dozer is more affordable, but any other ideas or suggestions of something that would look good on a low loader to take to shows would be most welcome.

Could anybody please give me their views on Caterpillar/International/Allis Chalmers etc. It would need to have a dozer blade or a loading shovel. I'm happy to consider a finished vehicle or something that needs some work and I would really value ideas or even leads on suitable vehicles that maybe out there.

Thanks in advance for any info :-)

Careful, we'll be starting the debate of which are better, US or British bulldozer designs

A quick search of Ebay and there are a few Cat crawler tractors up for sale just now. Dont tend to find too many configured as loaders though.....dozer blades etc. were optional add ons.

There are a couple of Machinary forums equivalent to HMVF that might be worth having a look at for a steer... "Classic Machinary Network", "British Construction Equipment Forum" etc.

Careful, we'll be starting the debate of which are better, US or British bulldozer designs

A quick search of Ebay and there are a few Cat crawler tractors up for sale just now. Dont tend to find too many configured as loaders though.....dozer blades etc. were optional add ons.

There are a couple of Machinary forums equivalent to HMVF that might be worth having a look at for a steer... "Classic Machinary Network", "British Construction Equipment Forum" etc.

I didn't realise the British made dozers during WW2 I thought they were all US ? Thanks, I've seen the ones on evilbay they look like the sort of thing just need one with a dozer blade fitted, looking on Youtube I've seen some with rear winches fitted, was this common ?

Thanks for the other forum info, I'll check them out

What about the anteaters? http://milweb.net/webvert/a2352

I did see them and was tempted but the price I felt is too steep given that most likely I would double the complete cost after transport and restoring them and that’s just more than I have allocated funds, especially as they don’t seem to be running. So I didn’t make the phone call and risk making a silly offer and offending the seller.

Whilst I would part with my money for one my opinion on the price is of course very subjective or just plain wrong as there most likely has never been any others the same for sale so they will not have a set value like a Jeep would so that’s just my personal view heavily influenced by my budget and the next person would no-doubt happily pay the asking price.

All credit to whoever saved them, somebody will hopefully get them back working and looking the part and they would look brilliant on a low loader or at W&P with say the Red Ball Express display (I always stop and have a close look at that setup it’s awesome.) I see the seller would like them to go as a pair, which is fair and I can only hope somebody buys them and they go on the show circuit in the UK for us all to see.

Thanks I saw it and there is another D4 on there as well, unfortunately neither have a blade fitted.

If I find one to look at any idea of what the big issues are I need to be aware of ?