Bedford MW battery power leakage

Danny P

A friend has some problems with the power circuit of his bedford MW. This is not my topic and apparently it isn't his so we have to ask on this forum.

He explained to me as following:

1. the battery is leaking power and finally is empty. when he disconnects the battery cables and measures between the plus and minus at the cable ends he has a power contact which, according to him, shouldn't be

2. when he does the same measurement at the plus and minus in the power regulator he also has a power contact, which again shouldn't be according to my friend

What could be a cause that his battery is leaking power?

Thanks,

Danny

Edited by Danny P

Convoy light is not fitted and my friend does not know how to proceed with a stuck contact if this could be the case.

A picture is added of his regulator. He has disassembled the regulator and you can see where he does the measurement and so where the leakage is. Any suggestions to help him anyhow?

Thanks,

Danny

attachment.php?attachmentid=126744&stc=1

regulator.jpg

Edited by Danny P

Are the points closed on the relay. Take the power lead off the dynamo put a meter between the wire and the terminal on the dynamo to check there is no current flow with the engine off. Also do the same with the power input on the ignition coil to make sure there is not a small leak from the ignition switch.

Problem seems to be the dynamo and has been taken out for repair.

Thank you all for the support, also on behalf of my friend!

Cheers,

Danny

Danny,

If there was a discharge with engine not running, then I fail to see that the dynamo is at fault, it has to be the control box where the fault is, unless there is a wiring or switch fault somewhere.

With the black probe pushed between the points it is closing the circuit and will be giving you false information. Is there any power at the leads you have taken off the dynamo. Do you still have the power drain without the dynamo?

Richard, John,

I had a phonecall from my friend just a few hours before your last posts. I understood he had a power contact each time when he does similar measurements as shown in the picture. He now thinks it's logical that he measures power because he makes the short circuit himself. At the time of measurement, he has a dicharge on the dash panel without running the engine. I hope I have understood this correct.

Now the dynamo has been taken out for repair since he thinks this is the problem. So, when the dynamo doesn't appear to be the problem he certainly will come back to me for asking again on the forum.

I will pass on your last insights and wait for his reply. Hope my explanation is a logical story as I am only trying to translate his problem so to speak.

Thanks again,

Danny

Hi Danny,

It is a bit difficult to make a diagnosis on this without a bit more background. Has this Bedford just been re-wired? If so then a connection might have been made incorrectly. I recently had to go and look at a Bedford where a new harness had been fitted and a wrong connection (on the ignition/lighting switch) made the ignition circuit on all the time. If this has just been rewired I would suggest your friend either double checks all connections are correct or gets a friendly auto electrician to check it over.

regards, Richard

John and Richard,

You both were right on the subject! It was the regulator. Seems that there was a broken part inside. Bedford MW is running again without power leakage anymore!

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Danny