1971 Douglas Turbo Taskmaster Aircraft Tractor

mrpye

Hi all, Been browsing the forum for a while and have decided to do a blog on my Douglas Turbo Taskmaster Aircraft Tractor.

I have owned it 17 years but only really just started restoration on it properly,

when I got it I wrote to the RAF museum and they kindly sent me a copy of it's record card so I know it was delivered the RAF at CVD Ashchurch 2/2/71 on contract WV7319, and worked between Abingdon and kemble until it was sold at British car auctions in 1984.

I bought it at auction in 1999 and was told that it had been rescued from a beach were it was used to pull in fishing boats using it's winch.

I have been working on it on and off but have lately removed the wings concrete weight block and rear reduction hubs so that I can sort the brakes and hopefully get it out next year! Hopefully the pictures are showing below.

Thanks Matt

FB_IMG_1496869315820.jpg

FB_IMG_1496869326394.jpg

20170121_143404.jpg

20170121_143159.jpg

20170121_143313.jpg

Unusual piece of kit, pretty heavy looking spades on the back, are they original? Keep the photo's coming we like photo's here :-)

Yes according to the manual it weighs 4 3/4tonnes yeah all original. The RAF stores number is 16A/2977 tractor wheeled aircraft with winch.

It's a Boughton winch, the tractor is based on a davidbrown 990 skid, so the engine gearbox and rear axles are all davidbrown 990 it is a turbo Taskmaster so has a torque converter to help smoother movements. Douglas used the davidbrown skid and added bits to it.

I've not seen many others, there are a few but not sure if many with the winch are still about.

I'l keep the thread updated with pictures as I progress!

• 7 months later...