Ferret Brake/Tail Light issue................

Chris Preston

'Evening All,

We have some brake light issues with our Ferret - I checked out the Ferret's Brake Lights yesterday, and yes - they're working, BUT...........only when the light switch hasn't turned on the Running Lights, and Head-Lights. I turned the ignition switch "On" (without actually starting the engine) and tired the brakes - brake-lights work normally. When I turn the lights on, the tail/brake lights are full on and very bright, as though I'm stepping on the brakes, with no change when I do step on the brakes. When I take my foot off the Brake Pedal, the Brake Lights stay "On".

Do we have some wires plugged into the wrong location on a terminal strip somewhere?

Cheers,

Chris Preston, Victoria, BC

Do we have some wires plugged into the wrong location on a terminal strip somewhere?

Very possibly Chris.

Check of course that you have double filament bulbs as a single filament bulb will straddle the contacts & give strange results.

As the red tail & brake bulbs are combined with two separate filaments, I would unscrew the lenses & observe directly that with the brake on that it is just the high wattage filaments that are illuminated.

With all the lights on but not braking, check that it is only the lower wattage filaments that are illuminating.

If the brightness levels are reversed then the bulb holder leads need reconnecting, if there is feint glowing of the other filament then there is an earthing problem on the bulb holder. With everything off I would do a continuity test on the brake switch & make sure it is switching on & off cleanly & not hovering on. Other than that there must be something wongly connected around the switch board.

Thanks All.

The investigation continues. We are using the correct dual-filament, 24v bulbs in the Brake/Tail light socket, but the Gremlins have crept in and playing their games. The local Base here agreed to help out and do some major hull work on the vehicle a year and a half ago, which required pulling the complete power-pack out (along with all the other bits, etc), and when it came time came to put everything back in, some things might have gone in incorrectly.

Just to confirm, when we start the engine (without turning on the lights) we get the Brake Lights coming on correctly when the brake pedal is depressed. When I turn the light switch on, the Brake/Tail lights come full on as though I'm stepping on the brake pedal (which I'm not) to full brightness and when my foot comes off the brake pedal, the lights stay full on and don't return to normal Tail Light intensity. Make sense?

Cheers,

Chris

It sounds like the relay/circuit is getting constant power when the head lights are on. This assumes it works right when the headlights are off, as you said. As I said before, the relay isnt wired right. At least thats where you should start checking for wiring problems. Once you verify that the relay is set up to only get fed from the master cylinder switch I would start looking at the junction block in the back to make sure you dont have a running light wire feeding a brake light.

Edited by njjeeper

'Afternoon All,

SUCCESS :D !! Apparently North American style 24v, dual filament bulbs for brake/tail light applications are different from the European version. We checked all the circuitry using wiring diagrams and a meter and confirmed all was in order, leaving the bulbs still suspect. We went to a local automotive supplier (JB Automotive) who got in the correct bulbs, and now have properly working brake and tail lights.

So - always use the correct part!

Many Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC