What type of vehicle is that in the background?

LarryH57

Given the picture has been taken focussing on the POW's the background is a bit out of focus....

I would think it probably is a Valentine....

The thing that looks like a telegraph pole does look like a part of the bridge launching mechansim. The bridge has gone off the back of the hull along with the roller mechanism that the bridge rotates from after it touches down infront of the hull during launching...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0zeXrza7UAhXBnRoKHXJSB5QQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fww2today.com%2F9th-march-1943-exercise-spartan-tests-d-day-forces-in-britain&psig=AFQjCNHIGWoIF8iMnpSRp2_X-w48a2ZW8g&ust=1497022867852662

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj7ks2Vzq7UAhVBrRoKHf6VALEQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AValentine_Bridgelayer_pic3.JPG&psig=AFQjCNHIGWoIF8iMnpSRp2_X-w48a2ZW8g&ust=1497022867852662

There are points of similarity with a Valentine but the two arms attached to the hull either side of the long pole don't match anything on any photo of a Valentine bridgelayer that I can find. I thought maybe Covenanter as in the photo below but the same applies.

I'm sure somebody on this forum will solve the mystery, though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126651&stc=1

image.jpg

Edited by mtskull

attachment.php?attachmentid=126697&stc=1

Puzzled and searched online for photos for ages before it hit me: I thought we were looking at the front but that's actually the rear of the bridgelayer visible in the photo. Suddenly everything is consistent with it being a Valentine. Apologies for doubting those who twigged before I did....

image.jpg

Edited by mtskull

Strange as it seems, when I uploaded the colour photo above of the three POWs, I thought I knew that guy on the right from somewhere, the one who is possibly wearing a US Army or British Army shirt. So I had a trawl through some 300 IWM photos I have had for about 40 years and found this photo. As you can see they are Luftwaffe but I'm not sure they are Paras but the relief at being away from the fighting is clear to see! Sadly the British soldiers in the front, despite their half smiles, show a sense of apprehension. They still have another year of fighting to go before they can truly relax!

Note the Jeep has two different tyres on the front and bashed fender and lights and no pioneer tools.The canvas covering the windscreen looks to be Italian or German in origin.

Jeep near Cassino.jpg

Edited by LarryH57

There are points of similarity with a Valentine but the two arms attached to the hull either side of the long pole don't match anything on any photo of a Valentine bridgelayer that I can find. I thought maybe Covenanter as in the photo below but the same applies.

I'm sure somebody on this forum will solve the mystery, though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126651&stc=1

I have to admit I hadn't looked too closely at the above photo

Only having read the rest of the page I found it on I realised my mistake getting my Covenanter and Valentines mixed up.

Also in the initial POW photo we're looking at the rear of the vehicle with the bridge and launching mechanism having collapsed forward of the hull front (furthest from the camera)

Strange as it seems, when I uploaded the colour photo above of the three POWs, I thought I knew that guy on the right from somewhere, the one who is possibly wearing a US Army or British Army shirt. So I had a trawl through some 300 IWM photos I have had for about 40 years and found this photo. As you can see they are Luftwaffe but I'm not sure they are Paras but the relief at being away from the fighting is clear to see! Sadly the British soldiers in the front, despite their half smiles, show a sense of apprehension. They still have another year of fighting to go before they can truly relax!

Note the Jeep has two different tyres on the front and bashed fender and lights and no pioneer tools.The canvas covering the windscreen looks to be Italian or German in origin.

[ATTACH]126732[/ATTACH]

Do you know any more about the jeep crew? A closer look suggests the passenger may be Indian, quite likely in that theatre and he is with a probable Brit who has no visible badges of rank, but, possibly the single ribbon of an MC. He is also wearing a shirt with a collar. And age? He may be a WO or officer, perhaps - if from an Indian unit, would that make him someone from Bn/Regt HQ - QM, RQMS, someone like that. The absence of tin hats, webbing and weapons, suggest thy are a bit closer to the rear at this stage than when the PW were taken. And I think there are at least three different tyres! No surprise, matching tyres in those days wasn't the priority it has become since! Sad - makes showing an authentic jeep at a show much more difficult! Sidelights aren't quite up to MOT standards either!

10 68

Sadly there is no clue as to the unit to which this Jeep belonged as the caption said near Cassino and focused on the three POWs. So it is hard to know if there is an Indian Army connection. Having said that I have seen troops so dirty on exercise they could be mistaken for anyone!

BTW - I just uploaded a better photo as a Jpeg rather than PDF

Edited by LarryH57

Strange as it seems, when I uploaded the colour photo above of the three POWs, I thought I knew that guy on the right from somewhere, the one who is possibly wearing a US Army or British Army shirt. So I had a trawl through some 300 IWM photos I have had for about 40 years and found this photo.

Beyond all reasonable doubt those are the same 3 POW's; what a brilliant piece of observation!

Because I just can't leave these things alone, I have been searching Google Street View and I believe that the photo was taken in the approximate vicinity of the Church of St Antonio, on what is now Corso della Repubblica.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126924&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=126925&stc=1

image.jpg

image.jpg

Because I just can't leave these things alone, I have been searching Google Street View and I believe that the photo was taken in the approximate vicinity of the Church of St Antonio, on what is now Corso della Repubblica.

That's an impressive bit of analysis/research. And I reckon you're spot on!

10 68

Yes very impressive.

BTW the next photo in the sequence is this, which might may help further with the location. The IWM caption for the photo with the three POWs mentions Route 6.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205188888

Is the link working or do you have to log in? I'm getting an error message.....

I can't think you're too far off in Earthview - looking at the original image (given its taken at ground level and Google cameras are vehicle mounted) I think you may still be too close - the Abbey looks a bit too clear/large (yes the original photo has the background out of focus....)

Cassino town was the scene of bitter house to house fitting so no surprise it was pretty much flattened - virtually a blank sheet to redevelop from.....