Scammell Explorer 1955.

The rain came to day, so it was indoor's work.

The light that light's up the rear disc was solid with paint, so I carefully stripped it down. The metal cover that the light shines through, was heated up until the paint had burnt off, and then carefully worked back and forth, until it was free to rotate giving the user the opportunity to change the light pattern.

However, it was a different story for the trailer socket. I heated up the cap as it was stuck fast. It had been liberally coated in diesel for the last few day's since I removed it from the lorry.But when I rotated the cap, the body crumbled and the threaded section ,broke away from the main body.

62 years old and I have damaged a piece of history...not happy.

Does anyone have one of these I could buy, preferably complete with the wires.

I will never use it for what it was intended, but I would like one in it's place to replace it.

The Governor.

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

A day of wet weather again, so it was inside for a good paint up. The parts were up to their final coat of under coat, so it was time to put on the top coat.

This little lot took 6 hours to paint, some of it only one side.

Oh, and you have seen formation flying, well we have formation sleeping.

The Governor.

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

Oh, and you have seen formation flying, well we have formation sleeping.

The Governor.

I see Mummy has ten puppies, yet earlier you said there were eight! What's going on? They are gorgeous, all of them but, the Light Stone ones are special! If I were UK-based, I'd be knocking on the door for two of them. :)

We had another 3 born during the night, sadly we lost one of the night born ones ,Mum knew what she was doing, nature does what it know's best.

Luckily, they are out in the run and not the workshop, otherwise they would be green ! :)

The Governor.

The weather has allowed me to paint the top coat on the jib, and the rear of the lorry, if you look very quickly the lorry looks almost finished, however, I have a long way to go.

Today I managed to clean up the end part of the jib and get the first layer of primer on it, along with the spare wheel carrier. I was not happy just painting round the mounting for the spare wheel, so I took it off, funnily enough, it is the only part so far that does not have stone colouring on it.

The Governor.

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

The second and final coat of paint was applied to the frame where the wood deck will fit onto it. This will now be left for the paint to harden off and set hard so that the wood will not disturb it.

There is still along way to go, but now that walking on the frame to get about is finished I for one am happy to work from the ground where I have less chance to slip and do my self some damage.

The Governor.

DSC00606.jpg

This little lot is the next area to strip and clean up, and even a repair to do to a pipe that has been damaged.I am not sure if the pipe has been damaged by the articulation of the back axle.

It is surprising how much you learn of the condition of the underneath of your vehicle, when working on it.

The Governor.

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

Really enjoying this thread mate . On my Explorer that plate that is welded between the two diagonal angle irons which join in front of the tow hook has a date stamped on the underside . May only be noticable if bare metal . I have taken this as her birthday 😊. Best wishes Andy

looks like good progress is being made , keep it up my friend . Doug.

Hi Doug, how's your restoration coming along, these little friends are keeping me busy, I am now chief cook and food preparer, with meal times every 4 hours.

The Governor.

DSC00656.jpg

Really enjoying this thread mate . On my Explorer that plate that is welded between the two diagonal angle irons which join in front of the tow hook has a date stamped on the underside . May only be noticable if bare metal . I have taken this as her birthday 😊. Best wishes Andy

Hi Andy, Glad you and several others, looking at the number of views, are enjoying the thread.

I will have a look at this area when I come to it and see if the date is on my lorry too.

The Governor.

iam not getting on as fast as you . the matador slows up in rally season as keeping the steam engines take up loads of time . I have a week off in augest and hopeing to get a few days on it . I will update it as I do some more on it .. keep the updates coming catch up with you soon. Doug

Great thread. All looks very familiar having bought one part done as a large jigsaw puzzle. Well worth the effort as there are few vehicles that are so practical and have such a huge "grin factor" when driving!

Jules

Jules, your right there, this was my first lorry, straight in at the deep end really. But it has such a presence on both the road and off, people can't believe what toy's I have got.

I picked my wife up from work, the surprise was I picked her up from a prison, and nearly set the prison into gold alert, until the comm's officer saw who was driving it on the camera, ha ha. Happy days.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

The Governor.

Excellent progress mate . You found homes for the pups yet ? 😊

Hi Andy,

I have 3 left. It is just a case of finding the right homes, we have endless calls for them, but not the right homes.

Thanks again for the valve, it is in final coat, ready to fix in place when I am ready.

The Governor.

Good news mate , we are thinking of a German Shepherd as the next member of the Fowler household . We have had Border Collies and have an eleven year old chap called Bob at the moment . Any first hand advice on the breed would be appreciated. My young children 9 and 5 have grown up with collies , but Germans are quiet a lot larger so should I be concerned ?

Best wishes Andy

As with any big dog training is crucial. They are super intelligent very loyal and marvelous family members and companions. I have had experiance of Alsations for 40+ years and was never bitten, but had to deal with hillarious events when two particular dogs took an intense dislike to visitors. On another occasion a driver set off with a van not knowing Donavan was having a siesta in the back after about 20 miles he got up and licked Joes ear and the description of the incident had everyone in hysterics for weeks as Joe kept telling everyone he met embelishing a little bit each time he told the story. They are more vocal than a collie, Hip displacia is a problem a vet can advise you. They give back a lot. If they do not like someone they probably will not change their mind.

Edited by john1950
addition

The rear electrical socket to connect trailers to had crumbled around the threaded part that the cap goes on, and therefore, needed a repair. Now, I am never going to connect a military trailer to the lorry, so as it is damaged, I decided to repair it as the photo's show.

First of all, I cut a piece of wood to fit in the area a plug would have fitted into. I then filed it up with resin, let it set, and then drill a clearance hole in the lid, and use a brass wood screw to fix the two together.

If I need to use this a socket, I will look out for a replacement, in the future.

Oh, and a little furry cuddly toy for the German shepherd to chase, is watching to see that I do it properly.

Tiger is the workshop cat that keeps the mice and rat population in order. Even German Shepherds have to keep a low profile as they are never to big for her to send packing with their tails between their legs.

The Governor.

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

I managed to strip every pipe of it's paint. Actually, the parts of the pipe round the back up against the frame did not have any paint on them at all. However it will not be the same quality, I will paint the pipes before they are fitted in place.

The Governor.

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00821.jpg