Ward le France clutch adjustment

Jerrykins

Can some kind person tell me how the 'Lite' clutch is adjusted? It appears to have a bl..dy great central coned coil spring providing the engagement and a sort of lever plate within to disengage the friction plate. There are adjustment shims to increase the spring tension and the clutch pedal linkage needs careful adjustment. Any advise in getting the best from this set up will be gratefully appreciated as the clutch is starting to slip. Thanks Jerry

Can some kind person tell me how the 'Lite' clutch is adjusted? It appears to have a bl..dy great central coned coil spring providing the engagement and a sort of lever plate within to disengage the friction plate. There are adjustment shims to increase the spring tension and the clutch pedal linkage needs careful adjustment. Any advise in getting the best from this set up will be gratefully appreciated as the clutch is starting to slip. Thanks Jerry

Hi,

It's all in the TM but basically you remove equal numbers of shims from each location as the clutch starts to wear and then adjust the linkage to bring the biting point back to where you want it. By removing shims you are effectively just closing up the gaps each side of the friction plate.

If you can't get hold of a manual drop me a line and I'll scan the relevant pages for you.

Regards - MG

Mike

We've got the manuals, which we've read. Thanks for the re assurance that it's as straight forward as it says. No tricks or nasties.

You know what we're going to be doing tomorrow...

Thanks again - Jerry

The only nasty is having to turn the engine a 10th of a turn or whatever it is, and then getting the bl**dy shims out. Long nosed pliers will be your friend. Also you'll probably have to remove them all from each location and prise them apart as they tend to corrode together. Not the nicest job on a WLF.

- MG

did this on my Diamond T last month definitely only take one shim out of each stack as that will be plenty.

my clutch went from slipping continuously to you could stall the truck out in 1st low and not a sign of clutch slippage.

just a point the shims are not slotted to clear the stud they are just slit so you have to bend them around the stud.

took me an hour to do mine all by myself, definetly pull the spark plugs as it will make turning the engine a lot easier.

regards sam