Car paint supplier

Caddy

You'll be lucky! Cellulose paint has been outlawed and suppliers told they'll be fined for selling it, however, you can still buy cellulose primer and thinner, but not colour now. You said you want to use it for your Rangerover, well cellulose used to be the industry standard years ago for paint repairs, but not any more, most if not all body shops use high volume low pressure paint systems and water based paints, even two pack (2K) paints are losing favour due to euro emmision laws and of course the dreaded cyanide content, but if you take the right safety precautions -- no problems and brilliant finish -- loads better than cellulose ever was!

Can't use 2K paints as it'll probably kill the horses next to me.

what are the water-based paints like to use, can you use them over cellulose primers?

You can use cellulose, it is still available and legal to use on classic vehicles. Jawel are just one of many suppliers and any colour you want is available in just about any form.

You can order online without restriction.

Iain

You can use cellulose, it is still available and legal to use on classic vehicles. Jawel are just one of many suppliers and any colour you want is available in just about any form.

You can order online without restriction.

Iain

Iain is exactly right -- go here for advice -- http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/The-basics-of-Cellulose-Paint-/10000000177245169/g.html -- and note the point about cellulose being an aggressive material -- it will cause all sorts of problems if your preparation isn't of a high standard.

My original point about it being illegal to sell was prompted from your intended use -- I assumed your Rangerover was a modern vehicle although I appreciate that the original Classis Rangerover is in fact a "classic" vehicle. You didn't say what age it is, so apologies.

It is interesting that the law makers in their infinite wisdom have not clarified what constitutes a classic vehicle or an industrial process or how they were going to police the use, and if you can buy the paint on line, who's to say what you are going to use it for. Despite the claims of any colour mixed though, you're going to find that the colour range is quite limited and restricted to older colours as formulas won't be available for modern colours and because modern body shops -- the greatest users of refinishing materials don't use cellulose any more, the vast majority of suppliers to the refinishing trade don't stock cellulose paint materials any more, (a) because of the law on VOCs and (b) because of the low demand for the material.

All that said, as Iain says, there are many suppliers on line, just tab in cellulose paint on a search engine and loads of suppliers come up including the firm he recommended who have an excellent website and offer paint 'kits'.

Your question about what can you put on top of cellulose primer -- anything. If the primer doesn't lift or rizzle what's underneath you're probably OK. I use it all the time, but remember, primer is porous, if you leave what you've primed out in the rain, the rust will come through (probably not on a Rangerover though having aluminium panels)

Cheers,

Contacted Jawel and they can supply the basecoat, but not in cellulose, still a single pack paint though. They have also suggested using an acrylic lacquer over the top.

Any thoughts?

Acrylic lacquer is OK, but it doesn't gloss up like 2K clear and adhesion is the usual problem. Despite claims of high gloss finish, acrylic lacquer dries so fast, almost as soon as it leaves the gun, getting a gun finish us nigh on impossible, but it does polish and will come up, but you'll need a polishing machine for best results. As soon as the base coat is on, go straight on with the lacquer​, the longer you leave it, and I mean minutes, the less chance there is of the lacquer sticking to the colour, it'll be alright short term, but often, once the sun gets to it, the clear peals off.

Seeing your Rangey is that new, I'd go for killing off those horses (joke) because you'll never get the finish to match, leave alone the colour