CVRT starter relay

Andrew Rowe

How common is the problem of the starter relay sticking on when you start? I see the manual says, if it happens, give the distribution box a bang with your hand , to unstick it. Is this relay a common part to other vehicles of the era and readily available? Also I am trying to find some of these spring leaves for the Breech block off the Scorp, has anyone seen these as a spare part ?, Thanks Andrew.

DSCF7849.jpg

DSCF7860.jpg

When you say sticking is it sticking on (operated) or off (released)

Clean the backstop, armature face and armature pivot, meths will be fine, be careful with some contacts cleaners as they dissolve things. DO NOT OIL!

If it's sticking on increase the spring pressure and if off decrease. Also clean the contacts, burnishing with a flat screwdriver is fine, DO NOT USE a file, alternatively polishing paper.

Try the cleaning before altering spring pressure.

Diana

How common is the problem of the starter relay sticking on when you start? I see the manual says, if it happens, give the distribution box a bang with your hand , to unstick it. Is this relay a common part to other vehicles of the era and readily available? Also I am trying to find some of these spring leaves for the Breech block off the Scorp, has anyone seen these as a spare part ?, Thanks Andrew.

Yes, it sticks on when you push the button, engine starts , but does not release. On inspection you can see where the points have "arced"

I take on board about the cleaning of the points. I actually swapped the points from the NBC one next to it, as everything appears the same, and were in better condition . Is there suppose to be a correct gap setting between the points?. Have not retested yet at the moment, Cheers Andrew.

The relay will have been set up to pull in at a certain voltage and release at a certain voltage, both within the limits of spring pressure.

Without knowing what they actually are it will be best guess, and yes the contact gap with the relay released will also have been specified to be within a certain tolerance.

Diana

Yes, it sticks on when you push the button, engine starts , but does not release. On inspection you can see where the points have "arced"

I take on board about the cleaning of the points. I actually swapped the points from the NBC one next to it, as everything appears the same, and were in better condition . Is there suppose to be a correct gap setting between the points?. Have not retested yet at the moment, Cheers Andrew.