FH70 British Army 155 Howitzer

The cubed one has just called. He's trying to get the SOE teams FH70 working in time for Overlord this weekend.

He has this question-

How do you engage drive to the main wheels on the FH70? Apparently the prop shaft turns but the wheels don't!

Answers asap please 😍😍😍😍

• 1 year later...

Hi there everyone,

I'm having exactly the same issue with my FH70. ☹️ 

Rosie did your friend work it out in the end? If not, does anyone else have a possible answer??? 

Also, does anyone have any useful information on FH70? I've been trying to get hold of a manual but without success. 😀

Sen

5 hours ago, Sen said:

Also, does anyone have any useful information on FH70? I've been trying to get hold of a manual but without success.

The FH70 in the British army was called "Howitzer 155mm L121"

Although, it has been out of service since 1999 (?) you could try a FOI request.

Also, contact the Royal Artillery Museum Archive:-

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a?_ref=400

12 hours ago, Sen said:

Hi there everyone,

I'm having exactly the same issue with my FH70. ☹️ 

Rosie did your friend work it out in the end? If not, does anyone else have a possible answer??? 

Also, does anyone have any useful information on FH70? I've been trying to get hold of a manual but without success. 😀

Sen

I have just been speaking to someone who used to own an FH70 about your problem in getting drive to the wheels. You need to lower the gun until the drive shafts are almost horizontal then press in the pin on the drive shaft collar and it will lock in to place. If the collar is not locked in place it won't drive the wheels. Extreme care must be taken when locating the collar on the wheel as you have to reach over the wheel to press the pin and minor adjustments in the height of the gun barrel may be needed.

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! 😁 

MatchFuzee thanks for the links. I'll contact them ASAP and see if they can help me with any information, I want to try my best and keep the old girl in good condition.

Johnwardle that sounds like amazing advice! It's currently raining here but as soon as it clears up a bit I'll get out and see if your information will sort out my problem! She's currently on grass under trees and I want to get her out onto concrete and possibly under cover.

I'll let you all know how I get on and thanks again! 

Sen

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get the old girl moving but still no luck. 

Johnwardle could you ask your friend if this is the pin they were talking about? I feel like I'm missing something obvious but can't work out what it is. 

Thanks in advance,

Sen

FH70.jpg