I am just in the process of getting my next project ready to go in the workshop, so I thought that I would share some pictures before it is stripped down. I have had it for a couple of years but needed to get the HUP finished first and now seems about the right time to get the project started. Its a 1944 but with a steel rear body. At some time the rear body has been chopped and someone has repaired it and added a new floor. The engine is seized solid but its still a wonderful old vehicle and compared to the HUP, very complete.

Jon

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02324.jpg

DSC02325.jpg

DSC02326.jpg

I am just in the process of getting my next project ready to go in the workshop, so I thought that I would share some pictures before it is stripped down. I have had it for a couple of years but needed to get the HUP finished first and now seems about the right time to get the project started. Its a 1944 but with a steel rear body. At some time the rear body has been chopped and someone has repaired it and added a new floor. The engine is seized solid but its still a wonderful old vehicle and compared to the HUP, very complete.

Jon

Was this the one from Oswesrty auction? Thanks for sharing...lokk forward to future updates!

• 3 weeks later...

My son and I made a start at the weekend, stripping the Vehicle down, its not in bad nick and the panels that need replacing, look fairly simple to reproduce. The vehicle has obviously had some repairs to the body work carried previously and there are a couple of areas that I need to check on other Morris's before I start fabrication. Hopefully there will be one at either War in the Vale or War and peace that I can crawl under.

Jon

DSC03607.jpg

DSC03608.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

• 1 year later...

The old girls been sitting there patiently awaiting some attention since i last posted. The engine is now in peices and i know whats got to be done there, everything. The cylinder head took 2 weeks to remove and eventually gave up and come off without damage, by using a sissor lift type thing and the vehicles weight. I have had the top off of the gearbox and freed up the reverse gear that was stuck and now it all works as it should do. I have now turned my attention to the drivers, passengers compartment, I forgot to take pictures of the driver side before I started but as you can see from the passengers side it needs a lot of work. There are a lot of panels that are in really good condition and only need preparing before spraying, other however, are knackered. Its my intention, to leave as much of the original metal as is sensible  and to patch rather than make every new panel but some panels will have to be renewed. I have also made a start getting the brake components, the rear wheel cylinders were easy to get hold of but the fronts are causing some frustration. The rubber brake pipes are on order, the next part to find is a new master cylinder.

Jon

DSC03716.JPG

DSC04729.JPG

DSC04730.JPG

DSC04731.JPG

DSC04732.JPG

DSC04734.JPG

DSC04735.JPG

DSC04733.JPG

• Like 1

David,

Believe me it wouldn't have come off without it and then, when I had eventually removed the head, all the head bolts came out with no fuss.

There is a lot of the tin work that is in really good condition the rest is terrible, anyway I have made a start on the drivers compartment and both sides are finished.

Jon

DSC04741.JPG

DSC04742.JPG

DSC04757.JPG

DSC04758.JPG

DSC04759.JPG

DSC04740 (2).JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

I have had quite a busy week really. All the cab panels have been repaired and reassembled to ensure that everything fits together, before they are disassembled  for prepping and painting. I took delivery of five 900x16 tyres, inner tubes and flaps, which only cost me £690, its the cheapest that I could find. The rear wheel cylinders turned up from the states, the flexy brake hoses were delivered all the way from Argentina, all 3 for £29 all in, I found some tread edge from R H Brindle and a new master cylinder was delivered, again from the states.

Jon

DSC04777.JPG

DSC04794.JPG

DSC04795.JPG

DSC04796.JPG

DSC04800.JPG

DSC04801.JPG

DSC04802.JPG

DSC04782.JPG

DSC04784.JPG

DSC04785.JPG

DSC04784.JPG

• Like 1

One rad cover panel repaired, not the easiest of jobs but interesting all the same.

Now don't be shy but I need some help, PLEASE. There is a small panel that bolts to the bottom of the rad cover but what is its function and more importantly does anyone have a picture of what it should look like without the rust.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

DSC04831.JPG

DSC04832.JPG

DSC04833.JPG

DSC04834.JPG

DSC04835.JPG

DSC04836.JPG

DSC04837.JPG

As usual tide and time wait for no man. All the tin work, from the bumper back to the bulkhead behind the drivers seat, has been repaired or remade and test assembled. Tomorrow I am going to repair the frame for the canvas tilt over the front cab, although looking at the state of it, remanufacture would be more appropriate. If there is anyone reading this who has a C8 with the observation ring above the passengers seat, could you please measure it for me. I need the inside diameter, outside diameter and the height of the inner vertical, in fact any dimensions that you could give me would be appreciated.

It was only when I was repairing the passengers side mudguard, that I realised that the mudguards are in fact different and I assume, either from different models of the Morris or one of them is from a different vehicle, although I have no idea what vehicle that would be.

Thanks,

Jon

DSC04838.JPG

DSC04839.JPG

DSC04840.JPG

DSC04841.JPG

DSC04842.JPG

DSC04843.JPG

DSC04844.JPG

DSC04845.JPG

DSC04846.JPG

DSC04847.JPG

DSC04848.JPG

DSC04849.JPG

DSC04850.JPG

Morning All,

I decided that I would repair the tilt sticks before disassembling it all and am I ever glad that I did. To do it I had to take the windscreen apart and found that it had been welded shut and is in pretty poor shape. The tilt frame locations, either side of the windscreen frame, had been repaired but at different levels which put the frame on askew. The observation hatch was a bit of a problem as I didn't have any dimensions. As I told my poor wife, it would appear that this is a very rare vehicle, in fact probably the only one in existence  or the level of support within this community is unbelievably poor, as no one could be bothered to get  tape measure out but no real concern, I got there on my own.

I really don't understand the attitude, I had the same when rebuilding the HUP, I know that there are vehicles out there, I know that the owners read this and other forums, so why not help, is it really that hard or is information power and if you divulge such information then I will be as clever as you? Forget it, Rant over.

One interesting discovery, to me anyway, is that the anti vibration pads for the radiator and the rear of the driver / passenger compartment are made of a fibrous material which appears to be felt, I had assumed that it would have been rubber.

Jon

DSC04851.JPG

DSC04852.JPG

DSC04853.JPG

DSC04857.JPG

DSC04858.JPG

DSC04859.JPG

DSC04862.JPG

DSC04863.JPG

DSC04870.JPG

DSC04864.JPG

DSC04865.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

DSC04867.JPG

1 hour ago, johann morris said:

One interesting discovery, to me anyway, is that the anti vibration pads for the radiator and the rear of the driver / passenger compartment are made of a fibrous material which appears to be felt, I had assumed that it would have been rubber.

I guess that could very well have been a war-economy thing?

Prague,

I am glad that you like it. I am on a mission at the moment and have given myself until the end of September to have the chassis and front cab complete and reassembled, then as time allows over the winter, I can sort the engine and rear body. That's the plan...………………..

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

Things are proceeding spiffingly well, the chassis is stripped, pressure washed and ready for paint prepping. While I was stripping the components off of the chassis, I found several areas where the original paint had been left untouched and from what I can see it appears a lot more olive green than the bs381 298 that I have been supplied.

There are a couple of areas that needed to be repaired but all in all it is in very good condition.

Driver /passenger compartment painted and ready for re assembly.

Hopefully by the end of next week I will start reassembling the chassis, axles etc.

Jon

DSC04952.JPG

DSC04953.JPG

DSC04954.JPG

DSC04956.JPG

DSC04957.JPG

DSC04958.JPG

DSC04959.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

Chassis and axles in green, ready for re assembly. I have decided to do something that i have never done before and that is to reuse some of the old nuts and bolts. I Lot of the 3/8" and bigger bolts are in such good condition it seems a shame to scrap them, so I am cleaning, re threading, dipping them in rust killer and the dipping them in a thin 2k black mix. it does require some planning, as it has to be done about 12 hours before use but I think its well worth the trouble. I cleaned the gearbox today ready for painting and found that the original colour was in actual fact brown, so I am now in two minds as to what colour to paint it. 

Jon

DSC04964.JPG

DSC04965.JPG

DSC04966.JPG

• Like 1