Bedford Taper Thread Query

Davey089

Question

Probably a daft question to some :D . I'm in the process of making some new Rocker cover studs for the MW and the 3\8" UNC thread on the stud is tapered . The query I have is .............. will the thread in the head be parallel ? if I re cut the new stud with a std die will it suffice ? as its not a sealing joint................. or is it :nut:.

What's the reason for using a tapered thread for the rocker cover stud ? I thought a std parallel thread would have been sufficient .

Dave

IMG_1768.jpg

8 answers to this question

Try a known parallel thread bolt in the head to see if it locks before bottoming out. Tappered threads will provide a mechanical thread lock for the stud so that the unf nut on the top undoes first.

Edited by john1950

I very much doubt if you in fact have a tapered thread. They look a machine cut thread , so it is just due the short length of thread using a chaser (probably a Coventry Diehead used or such as Kendel & Gent screw machine chasers ) ,,

Thanks John

Try a known parallel thread bolt in the head to see if it locks before bottoming out. Tappered threads will provide a mechanical thread lock for the stud so that the unf nut on the top undoes first.

Are you sure that's a UNC thread? I would have thought more likely to be Whitworth. Same 16 tpi but a different thread form. I would also think that the finer thread for the nuts will be BSF. Just a thought. Ron

Thanks for that . I thought it was a taper ,when I held it against a flat it gave me that impression . Reading your response I can see what you mean by a short thread with a chaser . Thanks again

Dave

I very much doubt if you in fact have a tapered thread. They look a machine cut thread , so it is just due the short length of thread using a chaser (probably a Coventry Diehead used or such as Kendel & Gent screw machine chasers ) ,,

No British threads on a Bedford, all NF and NC

Cheers Richard, you learn something everyday. I've never owned a Bedford. I have a Morris and Austin and loads of other stuff and the only general NF and NC is on my Jeep. Ron

Edited by Ron