Question : Identification ?

A chance purchase at the recent Beaulieu autojumble may cause some head scratching ! . Taken in a assembly workshop with lots of fitters benches in background ( plus 2 solid tyre front wheels). Conventional four spoke steering wheel, ignition switch, fuel tank, cone clutch and track rod behind axle. Unusual points - channel section chassis with angle iron added underneath, oddly appears to reduced in depth under scuttle area , large attached dumb irons at extreme front, what appears to be a reduction box added worked from lever left of centre, large central clutch pedal below steering column, possibly chain drive, reasonable sure its English, both gear and brake levers are very similar ( eg no clasp on brake lever , therefore not a Subsidy design),there are some design similarities to Albion but I am sure it not is. Unfortunately both the plate on the scuttle and name on pedals ( Lalys ??) cannot be read. If it was a conversion for railway use the steering would not be connected . The more you look the more unusual it is !.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125821&stc=1

Richard Peskett.

translit998 - Copy.jpg

Richard, my eyes are probably no better than yours and I can't get the photo to blow up any larger (do you have a higher res version?) - but the pedals look LAC?? to me - is it possibly a Lacre? The radiator is roughly the right shape.

Edited by Sean N
Fat fingers

It is a very interesting photo.

I concur. The front wheels, axle, chassis, radiator and fuel tank all suggest Lacre. On of the larger models.

Agree there are some unusual features. The strengthening of the chassis. And the unusual unit within the drive train between the clutch and gearbox. Is it a transfer case? A reduction drive? Overdrive?