Diamond T RXC Engine fuel pump.

Hi there.

Does any body know how the lift pump operates on a RXC engine, i know there's a rod that

comes across the block from the camshaft and pushes the operating lever on the fuel pump but

is there anything on the end of the rod on the pump side.

Mine doesn't seem to be long enough to push the rocker arm.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank's

Mal

Hi Sam, sorry for the late reply just come back from Scotland (no internet).

We have tried 6 times and are 99.9% sure it is in line with the rod.

Can you remember if there is anything on the end of the rod like a shoe, my

manual doesn't show anything.

Regards

Mal

Thanks Sam, that has answered my question as there is something on the end of the rod (like i thought) i must of knocked it off the first time i tried to put the pump back on (numpty).

That means the sump has to come off ( bugger).

Thank you for your help Sam.

Good luck with your 980 restoration, that is one big project you have taken on i look

forward to watching your progress.

Regards

Mal

• 4 months later...

Just for info, there is nothing on the end of the rod. The plug shown in the picture above is just a blanking plug that goes into the block above the pump. This is removed to allow you to check the rod is all the way back in Prior to fitting the pump.  Turn by hand until rod is fully in, Prior to trying to fit.

Still a tricky job to complete, real easy to miss the rod. Found the easiest way was to wire the arm in the up position using lock wire, put in place on the block and start the bolts, then prior to tightening fully, snip the lock wire and pull out. Hey presto, pump lines up with the rod and all works. 👍

I agree with Adam, it can be tricky job, you can bolt the pump to the block and miss the rod. What I found was to rotate the engine so that the rod is at its furthest point of travel. You then push the arm up against the rod as you tighten the pump down.

John G